1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ESEE Kukri

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by smokeylovesmolly, Mar 23, 2012.

1. BePrepared

BePrepared

Aug 26, 2010
    i just wish someone out there... becker, Esee, Condor... one of them as what makes bombproof knives... would make a classic shaped kukri (see the KABAR for NOT classic shaped) with a great sheath....

i see lots of kuks, but other than cold steel, they don't really look right...

and i don't buy cold steel much

2. Revolverrodger

Revolverrodger

Jul 23, 2007
    I tried a bunch and the best to me is the Ontario spec plus one.
    I have two of them now :D

3. Fourgates

Fourgates

Oct 24, 2011
    Why not just get a real one? One from the original source?

4. rpn

rpn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2008
    This is my HI Tamang. It chops anything I need it to and isn't any heavier than my Swamp Rat Battle Rat. It's very lively in hand.

[​IMG]

5. bomber258

bomber258

Mar 31, 2009
    I am NOT a huge fan of C/S .

But that being said I own more than a few of their blades as I like LAGRE folders.

And I have used and MUST say that their high end khukri is a chopping beast when the blade is properly sharpened.

It will do most anything an axe/hatchet will and still be used as a close up shaving blade.

EQ2E did a great show and tell that can be seen on FB,done by Robbie its an eye opener.

It is not a very light blade,but a tool like few others.

I own a Windlass khuk and it was sharpened by Jim at BRK&T and its amazing.

But the C/S sharpened by him is truly scary sharp.Belongs to a friend and I want one too.

6. AttilaTheHun

AttilaTheHun

Apr 10, 2011
    What's the blade length on the Tamang?

7. PayetteRucker

PayetteRucker

Aug 4, 2009
    it varies, as does the weight, but they tend to run between 9 and 13 inches for blade length. They are a reasonable weight for packing-mine comes along often. These are much lighter and more practical for packing than the stereotypical HI khukri, and are more along the lines of industry KLO's.

8. JayGoliath

JayGoliath

Mar 27, 2010
    I've talked to Auntie Yangdu about the Chiruwa Tamang. Let's hope we will see them in Q4 this year.

9. shortwinger

shortwinger Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Just remember that the "kukri machete's" are not a kukri, they are a machete. Machetes are made to clear vines and small vegetation not for heavy wood processing. The [*proper model] kukri on the other hand is made for heavy wood processing and will usually be heavier and less effective on smaller lighter vegetation. And when these machete and kukri/machete hybrids get pushed beyond their limits, they break in a big way. I would hate to have one blow up and come back and hit me in the head when I'm out in the middle of no where.

* Not all kukri are the same or made for the same jobs, some are for fighting, some for military and others as a farm tool. Even a camping type kukri can come in several very different types. For instance a kukri made for general utility work in a short term camp that is going to be carried on the belt will be smaller and lighter than one used in a longer term camp that is carried into the field in a pack or vehicle.

Some of the heavier kukri/machete hybrids like the Ka-Bar are good choices but if you are looking for a modern kukri that can do it all you would be crazy to overlook the CS Gurkha Kukri because nothing really comes close. It is lighter to carry than any traditional Nepalese kukri on the market today and the Secure-Ex sheath makes it 10 times more versatile. The SK-5 isn't some fancy exotic yuppie steel but it take a terrible beating and goes on and on and on. I know someone will point to a youtube video of one chipping and you will hear the mythical handle that wore out but you can also see several new active TV shows dedicated to tracking bigfoot and ghosts. The only downside I have ever come across with the CS kukri is that the perfectly machined blade can stick in some woods, especially some green sappy woods but even this is only a slight annoyance especially when you consider that this type of wood isn't used in firemaking unless it is in an extreme emergency. I know some people don't like CS or Lynn but you really can't argue with the knives, most do the job as good or better than anything available at any price.

10. eccvets

eccvets Banned BANNED

Sep 8, 2008
    You should try out the CS magnum kukri. They only cost 18bucks and thats shipped to you (shipping has got to cost at least 10 bucks!). You do have to know how to sharpen a knife to get a good edge but after you put a nice edge on it, I think you'll be happily suprised at how well they work. If not just resell it or just keep it/give it away, its only 18 bucks!!!

11. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Kukri machetes work just fine for heavy wood processing if you know how to use a machete effectively. The big difference is that they act like machetes--not like a kukri--so if you try using it the same way as you would a traditional kukri you won't be very successful.

Just for reference there's at least one source I know for fully sharpened ones for a few extra bucks. ;):thumbup:

12. Brad "the butcher"

Brad "the butcher"

Dec 15, 2008
    I have been impressed with the overall performance of my sk-5 ghurka kukuri and trailmaster.
    Good cheap tough beaters, your going to have your work cut out for you trying for a warranty claim with that big chunk of sk-5 barring a fluke.