1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Estwing Afternoon

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by Tomchung, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Tomchung

Tomchung

Aug 19, 2011
    I picked this up at the local Home Depot to play with - thought it might look cool with a trim, patina and convex edge:D

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now it might be a good little pack Axe

[​IMG]

2. Haze240

Haze240

Jan 1, 2011
    Interesting...but correct forum?

3. Tomchung

Tomchung

Aug 19, 2011
    just wanted to show my fellow becker heads my afternoon

[​IMG]

4. willworship

willworship

Jul 19, 2009
    I have that same hatchet. I may have to give some of that a go. What did you use to remove the metal on the bottom side of the head, if you don't mind my asking?

5. Silverthorn

Silverthorn

Apr 24, 2011
    I really like that.
    Is that the longer of the 2 Camp axe sizes?

6. Tomchung

Tomchung

Aug 19, 2011
    I used a 4" hand grinder to cut the bottom out and one cut off wheel to trim of back and allot of water to keep it cool.

the estwing is the smaller 12"

7. FAL'ER

FAL'ER Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Didn't it come with a sheath?

Those Estwings are some made in the USA awesome. It'll last a lifetime.
    Cool Mod too.

8. shunsui

shunsui Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Indestructable. Throw it in the trunk and forget about it.

9. Klutz

Klutz Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 1, 2011
    I love those Estwing hatchets. You don't have to worry about the heads coming off due to poor wedges.

10. Idaho Guy

Idaho Guy

May 22, 2011
    I've had mine over 25 years

11. tradewater

tradewater Geezerator Moderator

Jan 24, 2011
    Nice job. Do you know how much weight you took off?

12. Shotgun

Shotgun Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2006
    Dude there are so many off topic threads in this forum it's unreal so why not another one?:rolleyes: I think the decline of the outdoor forums is a direct result in the mods allowing the off topic talk in vendor sub-forums. Not that it's Becker's fault necessarily. The decline started with ESEE and the Becker sub-forum is just carrying on the torch. Or perhaps it started with Busse.

13. Ethan Becker

Ethan Becker Moderator Moderator

Sep 1, 1999
    I do not currently own an Estwing hatchet but my my 26' camp axe is the most awesome thrower ever.......Love my Estwing prybars and their framing hammer is THE standard against which I measure all others.....NO MOVING PARTS, NO PARTS THAT CAN MOVE.......Yea.....

ethan

14. Slider817

Slider817

Mar 26, 2010
    I have a had a Gransfors Bruks for quite some time, a wonderful axe, but I wanted something a bit more rugged so I bought a Fiskars, however with this mod, I may need to try a Estwing, I only have a Work Sharp, so I doubt I could take off much stock though.

15. tradewater

tradewater Geezerator Moderator

Jan 24, 2011
    Made me dig out my Estwing No.1. There's just something about American steel and leather.

16. rfguy

rfguy

Jan 20, 2011
    Ethan, It made me smile to imagine you throwing a 26' axe so is it a safe bet that you meant 26"?

Anyhow I love my Estwing hatchet and hammers. The leather handles are very comfortable and easy to hold. Not only do I have relatively new ones but I also have one Estwing hammer that is over 55 years old and still beautiful despite it's age.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  17. Ethan Becker

Ethan Becker Moderator Moderator

Sep 1, 1999
    Hey Rfguy....

I only threw the 26 footers in my misspent youth........They do age with grace and dignity, do they not ????.....I wish I was doing as good a job in that department !!!!!.....When that 26" sinks into the butt it makes the sweetest sound......Yeah,Yeah guys----no need to go there........I mostly use that axe for limbing as it has a pretty thin profile.....Light and fast......Great tools......

All Best....

ethan

18. Bladite

Bladite ǝɹnsıǝן ɟo uɐɯǝןʇuǝb Moderator

Feb 28, 2003
    right now at least, the new standard for pry bars for me is the Stanley FuBar III... not bad for $70ish

Ethan has seen this. it's a war hammer of a prybar. when the poop hits the impeller, that's the tool i want with me. two maybe :)

i'm led to believe they make a firefighter entry bar version... might have a finer chisel point for prying, and two holes for a sling :> $150+ if you can find one, AND if they will sell you one. snark.

always wanted Estwings, but they never did it for me, quite. mmm. maybe i'll keep my eyes out.

19. Carolina River Rat

Carolina River Rat

Oct 29, 2008
    I'm a carpenter by trade and I won't buy another brand of hammer. My favorites are the 28oz framer and 16oz finish hammer. I've had them almost 15 years and they're still going strong. A scoutmaster friend says that Estwing's axes are the only ones that his scout troop can't break.