Ever “converted” anyone to knives?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by DangerZone98, Dec 5, 2020.

1. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Could be friends or family (wife, son, daughter, nephew, or niece). Would be interesting to hear some stories about this since ours is a fairly niche hobby.

2. Hal

Hal

Feb 26, 1999
    I don't know if "converted" is the right way to put it, but, my 20 year old grandson loves knives.
    1911's too ;) .
    I think he'll be getting a Kimber for his 21st birthday in April....maybe a few of those evil button fire knives too...

3. Owen K.

Owen K. Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2016
    I was converted by my uncle. I'm working on my youngest brother at the moment. He's got a pm2, boker ak47, kershaw cqcs, and a couple ka-bars. He's super interested in all of mine. He did just buy a set of three mossy oak knives at Walmart for $24, which killed me inside a little. I think he's just in the "all knives are cool" stage. I'll ease him towards quality over quantity, slowly.

4. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    A young man with great taste in guns. Awesome. “Evil button fire knives” made me chuckle haha.

Billy The Hungry likes this.
  5. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    I think we all had awkward stages lol. Most serious knife guys do tend to lean toward quality eventually.

6. Owen K.

Owen K. Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Yup, I went through a cabelas magic assist stage super early on. Bought two $50 blacked out malninja blades. A Smith and Wesson and a shrade. Both went so off centered they rubbed the coating off. Also the assist flipper tab broke off the smith and wesson so I just ripped the remainder off with pliers and deassisted it. It was a phase. I'm not proud of it but no use in denying it. Now I'm into high end production and custom folders. Cheers to progress!

7. Billy The Hungry

Billy The Hungry Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 11, 2020
    Yeah, we all go through ackward knife stages. It's a part of maturing as knife enthusiasts.

This doesn't mean a person can't appreciate an inexpensive knife, however. I know of some $20 knives that if I had too, I wouldn't mind carrying for daily tasks. It's about knowing the difference between inexpensive and cheap.

I started off all of this getting into inexpensive Kershaw knives. I very happily carried a $15 Kershaw Filter for a while. I gradually got into better quality knives, and I began learning about steels.

I haven't really converted anyone yet, but I've tried. I give away knives to people I know who need a good knife. And I admit, I give away damn good knives, which I won't do anymore. It stings a little giving away an expensive knife to someone you think will appreciate it, only to soon realize they like their $10 box store knife more, lol.

8. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Indeed. Case in point, Morakniv. Great for beginners and super knife experts alike.

Smaug and Billy The Hungry like this.
  9. comis

comis Gold Member Gold Member

May 17, 2013
    I had been 'converted' ever since I was given a SAK and a lockback when I was young, and since then I have always carried a blade, one form or another, for many decades.

A cousin did ask about the CS Master Hunter in 3V couple years back, and I was trying to present him a few other options. But I guessed he had already done his homework and it was a value buy, so not much converting was needed.

Smaug, Henry Beige and DangerZone98 like this.
  10. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Did not convert anyone , but maybe help to rekindle the knife spirit again after someone had got out of the habit of carrying and using one.

Smaug and DangerZone98 like this.
  11. Billy The Hungry

Billy The Hungry Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 11, 2020
    I used to rock a Mora for my fire prep, back in the day. Awesome knives!

DangerZone98 likes this.
  12. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    I sort of converted one guy, but question his depth of commitment. This produces minor vexation.

13. Dcdavis

Dcdavis Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2018
    I converted my buddy to CRKs. He kinda got me into higher end knives when he got a Benchmade years ago. He got tired of having problems and finally pulled the trigger on a small 21. Never looked back

Smaug, DangerZone98 and jfk1110 like this.
  14. Phydeaux

Phydeaux

Mar 4, 2006
    My son caught the bug from me. Got a message from him the other day. "Hey dad, can you take a picture of your roll of knives and send it to me? My girlfriend thinks I have too many knives."

jideta, Sharp & Fiery, Smaug and 3 others like this.
  15. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Sadly, knives and significant others don’t always mix. Not every wife/GF is supportive of the sickness, unfortunately hehe.

Billy The Hungry and bigsurbob like this.
  16. bigsurbob

bigsurbob Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2016
    No, and I want to. I've tested the waters over the years, and some people feign interest and knowledge. Chefs know more than most. But I've had no converts. Yet!

Smaug and DangerZone98 like this.
  17. jlauffer

jlauffer Tempt not the Blade Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2016
    No, but I converted 2 girlfriends (one which I married) into non-smokers...does that count?

bigsurbob, DangerZone98 and sabre cat like this.
  18. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    A long time friend of mine has finally seen the light and now has a blade in his pocket. Can’t say he is a Knifehead yet.

Over the years I have given him a stainless G96 folder, two SAKs, two multi-tools and a CRKT M16.

He has lost about half of those over the years but, the idea of a EDC knife has finally soaked into his brain.

He doesn’t have the love or passion for knives that I have though. His love is audio gear.

bigsurbob, comis and DangerZone98 like this.
  19. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    That’s wonderful.

jlauffer likes this.
  20. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    My grandson is eleven. I have been giving him knives for about five years, an Opinel, a couple of Moras, an SAK, a Marttiini Little Classic, and a Maserin Plow. I DON’t know if I have turned him into a knife nut, but every once in a while we will pass an afternoon in the yard turning large pieces of wood into smaller pieces of wood.

My son uses his pocket knives a lot in his work as a bartender.
    I upped his game a bit by giving him a mini Grip and a Bugout, which have both worked their way to the top of his rotation. I have tried to refine his taste by giving him knives that I like, but he knows what he wants, so a lot of my gifts sit idle while he uses knives that suit his purposes.

bigsurbob, comis and DangerZone98 like this.