1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Expensive knives you actually use

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by kent_michaels, May 6, 2019.

1. sXePhenomenal

sXePhenomenal Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2018
    Don’t have many knives but I buy keep and use the ones I love. Well most expensive I bought new was a 3.5” XM-18 and added the full copper hardware set to it don’t remember how much it was. Most expensive I got second hand was a 3” XM-18 I got for $315 and added a titanium scale to it for like $175 (which are waaaay too expensive imo) they’re two of the 3 modern knives I have so mostly carry them everyday

I love traditional knives also and have more of them than modern folders and for Christmas got a Case Tony Bose Premium Stockman for $460 and love carrying it amazing knife
    04DD0E0F-92C4-4A1A-B76A-CEC726BD65B1.jpeg
    DABB8F6F-A0E4-43EF-BA07-1C751FAB3769.jpeg
    3CE27BE8-83D8-49FA-B1F7-82C62972E950.jpeg
    1A90BC4C-102B-40E2-A0E6-DB48DD600906.jpeg

Icky Thump, Llasi, HwangJino and 3 others like this.
  2. colin.p

colin.p

Feb 4, 2017
    Not sure where he is from, but in Canada, the plain jane PM2 is around $200. The price of living in paradise no doubt.

Alsharif and Pharmagator like this.
  3. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Cutting calves all morning:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mammoth ivory handled damascus Gordo knife in a custom oak carved bletless sheath also in the branding pen.

[​IMG]

She didn't get it out though, as Cara was giving shots to the calves:

[​IMG]

The wife had her blue jigged bone handled Gordo on:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lucia had her Osage Orange handled Coyote on too:

[​IMG]

Brother Bill, the cook, had dinner going for the crew when we were done. NY steaks a grilling:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chopped up some lemons in case some where wanted to squeeze one the lobster tail:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of the crew waiting for dinner:

[​IMG]

Time to eat:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Expensive knives/customs get used on this outfit.

Quiet, Pilot1, Pr3inar and 23 others like this.
  4. JD Bear

JD Bear Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Aug 4, 2015
    I love your knives more every time I see them Dave...

Horsewright likes this.
  5. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    Not entirely sure what this beaut cost originally, but I have a feeling it may be the highest price blade I own.

[​IMG]

Big Chris 3V machete. This guy gets used all the time too. There’s no point in having a blade this badass sit out the hard stuff, that’s where it shines.

I have a few folders around $200, but not too many passed that mark. I use ‘em all.

6. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    My most expensive knife I own, and I beat it like it owes me money.
    [​IMG]

7. marrenmiller

marrenmiller Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 6, 2017
    I guess my Socom Elites fit the description? They're my favorite knives so they get carried a lot. They've been completely full of fine sand and are still working normally, so I've relaxed my view that ball bearing pivots won't tolerate debris.

8. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Thank you sir!

9. Daedric Panther

Daedric Panther Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2019
    Southern California. Everything is more expensive here (RIP every time I go to the gas station). I bought it from the folks up at Plaza Cutlery. Great selection, but the prices were always retail and then some.

colin.p likes this.
  10. HwangJino

HwangJino

Dec 2, 2012
    My daily use.
    [​IMG]

My go-to knife for wood chopping when I want to have a bonfire at home
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    No safe queens in my possession.

11. orangejoe35

orangejoe35 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 2016
    I have a SpydieChef and a ZT 0609. They're not my favorites, but I use them when it's their time.

12. HwangJino

HwangJino

Dec 2, 2012
    Forgot to mention these, expensive but they're my work knives.
    [​IMG]

13. Llasi

Llasi Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 1, 2013
  14. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I have carried my TA Davison slip joint but I am hesitant to use it for much of anything. I don't consider it "art". But I have so many other useful knives that using this one is just not important to me.

Originally I wanted another Davison knife after I got this one. It is part of the disease I guess. But I have decided to draw the line for now unless I come into a bunch of money where cost is no issue. All knives that I buy now and for the last couple of years are to be used. But I don't go out of my way just to use a knife regardless if it is still new.

I completely understand the hesitation to use an expensive knife especially when you have others that work just as well for regular use. I consider when you die to be "the end" and do not do things for an estate.

15. Comeuppance

Comeuppance Fixed Blade EDC Emisssary Gold Member

Jan 12, 2013
    I’ve carried and used some fairly expensive knives - A sebenza insigno w/CF inlays, a 0560CBCF limited edition, a gold-class mini barrage (red c-tek), and a few others that slip my mind.

I never really held on to them, though, because as novel as it was, it felt like I was carrying a bejeweled hammer around to occasionally hit a nail or two.

The most expensive knife I carry and use frequently is a Spyderco Caribbean, which feels every bit as nice as any $300-$1000 knife I’ve handled and likely has the best cutting geometry of any of them.

Pharmagator and 22-rimfire like this.
  16. 353

353 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Nice ones..

What model/brand is the pen?

17. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb

Jun 6, 2017
    For me my Lil Lionspy is probably my most expensive yet I would say my nicest/fanciest knife is my Queen D2 Abalone Tiny Toothpick

18. HwangJino

HwangJino

Dec 2, 2012
    It's a bastion bolt action pen. Very happy with this pen.
    Though it is a very heavy pen, not for long writing sessions.

[​IMG]

353 and Llasi like this.
  19. penak

penak

Mar 11, 2019
    XM-18[​IMG]

20. OilMan

OilMan Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2004
    This:
    [​IMG]

Or this: