1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Expensive lesson learned

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Kaibab270, Aug 24, 2019.

1. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    Very nice work. Look great.

Kaibab270 likes this.
  2. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Basic Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    I bet you can get a comfy four-finger grip on that.
    What did you use to make the choil?
    I have a 0450, but I've got fat hands, so it's too small.

3. Kaibab270

Kaibab270 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2019
    I used a dremel with a 5/8" grinding stone. First I used a sharpie to draw the rough shape I wanted to grind to so I could try and keep it a decent shape. I have the variable speed dremel so I used a slower setting and a spray bottle of water to constantly keep the blade and bit cool. Little bits of removal at a time or you'll ruin the heat treat. I removed the blade from the scales as well to visually ensure I didnt grind too close to the detent track by the flipper tab. I finished up with some wet 600 grit paper by hand to nock off any sharp edges. I can comfortably get a nice 4 finger grip on it now where before my pinky would land off the back of the scales.

Rykjeklut likes this.
  4. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Basic Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    Thanks a bunch. Now I've got a project to fiddle with in the winter :D

Kaibab270 likes this.
  5. ol' smoke

ol' smoke

Apr 26, 2011
    I put a sharpening choil on all the blades I reconfigure.

6. Kaibab270

Kaibab270 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2019
    Little update: since doing the choil mod I decided to tinker a little more. 50/50 muriatic acid and water solution for about an hour and fifteen minutes (pocket clip was about an hour) and came up with this acid wash. I heard a recommendation to put fingernail polish on the parts I didnt want washed (tang, detent track etc) and that kind of worked. It bubbled off after about 45 minutes so I had to polish those spots up a little by hand. All in all I'm happy with it. I guess I just cant leave factory things alone :p now to put a fresh edge on it and hope I dont do what started this thread in the first place :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    colin.p likes this.