EZE LAP FOLDER for field or?

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by EMN, Apr 5, 2020.

1. EMN

EMN

Oct 15, 2019
    Hello all,

Will have a ESEE 6 coming from Knife connection soon. so looking for field sharpening options to carry in my knife sheath thinking of the EZE lap folder #510 one side medium and the other super fine.

Lots of good reviews on the work sharp field but to big to carry on the knife and the smaller one doesn’t appear to be as good of an option as the EZE.

how are these and am I missing an option that may be better?

thanks

Eric

2. I have that exact model (the hone), and would be perfectly satisfied with it for good working edges on most any knife. If you're comfortable with freehand sharpening, the 400/1200 EZE-Lap would be a pretty versatile combo. They're pretty aggressive in removing metal, and even more so when they're relatively new. So the 400/1200 is a pretty good mix for both repairing damaged edges (400) and finishing & touch-up sharpening (1200). EZE-Lap's '1200' is still relatively toothy in finish, comparable to DMT's '600' (Fine) grit. On the 1095 of the ESEE, I'd suggest using the hone with some sort of lubrication (water or mineral oil), so the diamond doesn't get clogged (it'll happen fast, if the hone is dry).

There are a ton of good options out there for field sharpening, especially if you're already comfortable with freehand. But there's little reason to not be satisfied with the one you're considering.

3. EMN

EMN

Oct 15, 2019
    Was also considering the DMT, in you're opinion would that be a better option?

4. Papilio

Papilio

Sep 6, 2019
    I don't have the EZE lap folder #510, but the Hone & Stone in Super Fine Grit 1200: http://eze-lap.com/products/diamond-hone-stone/
    Lightweight but the size of the Diamond Pad is rather small. Better used as a file than a stone. The 1200 Grit leaves a decent edge. But it is not the finest edge I can achieve. It leaves a good working sharpness.
    Here is a video of a guy who sharpens a knife with those hones:

They have a finer combination than the 400 / 1200, if you are interested. It is the 530. Super Fine Diamond and a Ceramic finishing stone for the finest edge. You would need a coarser grit, too. But if you want a really sharp edge...:

Not easy to find the solution that works best. Good luck!

5. EMN

EMN

Oct 15, 2019

Guess carry the coarser in the knife bag and have the finer back at base. Probably better to achieve an ok edge in an emergency then to have one to fine and need to work at it for ever.

6. Papilio

Papilio

Sep 6, 2019
    Right. Good point. If an ok edge is good enough, then there is nothing to say against the #510.

7. If you're thinking about DMT, their 'Dia-Fold' sharpener is very good. The Coarse/Fine (blue/red, 325/600) version would be more-or-less comparable to the EZE-Lap you're looking at. DMT is a little more expensive, but I like how they finish better than anything else. That's what's always impressed me with DMT - they finish very clean with very little burring and minimal tidying up afterward, of the edge.

8. EMN

EMN

Oct 15, 2019

He made it look so easy lol