Fantasy Warglaive Weapon

Discussion in 'Sword Discussion' started by Lifee00, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Lifee00

Lifee00

Feb 8, 2021
    Hello, I'm like really really curious about this, maybe some of you with more experience can help explain or give their opinions about this weapon: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_mprnb0C4O...In-RDt9o/s400/Illidan-Stormrage-warglaive.jpg

It's a popular fantasy weapon from WoW, Illidan's Warglaives, it's huge, 2 of them held in each hand, with a small-sized shield in the middle to block attacks.

My question: How effective would that weapon be in a fight against any other classic, medieval weapon, like a sword, katana etc. ?

Those war glaives are huge and perhaps a bit clumsier than a sword, but maybe would block attacks well? Idk what do you think about this fantasy weapon? What do you think of its advantages and disadvantages?

2. BitingSarcasm

BitingSarcasm Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 25, 2014
    You aren't going to find a whole lot of real world tie in with video game weapons. These are loosely based on an Indian weapon called a Haladie, and there are variants with a shield boss. That's where the reality parts ways with fantasy.... They would be impossible to wield at the size in that picture and more of a danger to the user than anything else.

Hanne762 and Triton like this.
  3. Triton

Triton Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 8, 2000
    I can't imagine how they could be used effectively. Agree with Bitingsarcasm.

4. GWashington1732

GWashington1732 Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 20, 2009
    I think they'd be useless in an ancient battle, especially against arrows. Which is what I'm betting everyone else in proximity to the guy using those would be praying that guy would get hit by.

5. Lifee00

Lifee00

Feb 8, 2021
    Arrows are ranged weapon, those would offer more protection than a sword or dagger for sure. And you are basically saying you wouldn't want to face a guy like this swinging those huge glaives? Doesn't that mean you're afraid he'll hurt you easily, which means they would be useful actually? Lmao

6. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt

Jun 23, 2007
    Completely worthless.

You would be unable to swing it without stabbing your self. One in either hand is even worse.

The Haladie is a double dagger, so shorter and at least able to move arround without stabbing your self in the groin every swing.

7. Lifee00

Lifee00

Feb 8, 2021
    I kind of feel like maybe it has a potential, it's true it's weird the ends are pointed inwards, but if you change the design and the ends are pointed outwards, you are less likely to hurt yourself and an opponent with a sword would have a hard time protecting his body with so many blades swirling around him while he has only 1. No? I guess it has to be tested cuz it's really difficult to say blindly without having had a try. What you guys think?

8. Richard338

Richard338 Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2005
    Even I wouldn't want one (or two), but if they interest you, then go ahead and make a pair. Worst case they'll make an interesting display.

9. Triton

Triton Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 8, 2000
    You feel like it has potential based on what? There is a reason why this weapon does not exist and why dual wielding is very rare historically. I would encourage you to take a sword training class if you would like to truly understand the impractical nature of these things.

scarysamcary likes this.
  10. GWashington1732

GWashington1732 Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 20, 2009
    I would only be afraid if he were on my side. In fact I'd probably just go home and rethink the fight altogether if that's what I had on my side. I would be afraid he would hurt me if he were coming at me though, one time I laughed so hard, I passed out and cracked my head on the way down. When I woke up I forgot how to brain for a while.

11. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Weapons are always used in context. Their advantages and disadvantages are best measured in terms of technique, armor, environment, etc. The historical haladie was a left handed weapon, used in similar fashion to a European dueling dagger. The user would have a sword in the right hand as his primary weapon and would use the left handed weapon to parry or as a weapon of opportunity. There are still many examples around in various styles; so it had to have been a somewhat popular weapon, which means that people found it useful.

Here are some 19th century examples:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/19th-C-Tri...-Dagger-Antique-knife-not-sword-/233436977086

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Indian_haladie.jpg

https://www.theknohlcollection.com/portfolio/detail/oriental-trident-dagger/

Long ago thread on these knives

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/does-anyone-haladie.416689/

n2s

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    Mecha likes this.