Farm knife review - my first ever review

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by BFH44, Jan 16, 2011.

1. dman62

dman62 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Love that knife. Good job on the review.

2. kronckew

kronckew Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 17, 2003
    good videos, nice doggies.

most of the photos i take of my knives have a dog in them that needs cropping out, like this one:
    [​IMG]

the dogs always seemed to be extremely interested in what i was doing with my knives in the garden, Blue nicked his nose on a parang once being curious, they'd get put back in the house when i was doing anything serious so i didn't have to worry about them sneakin' up behind me & poking their needle noses in my butt...now that it's just me & millie, she's a bit more laid back than blue was, is usually content just to be nearby 'supervising'.

3. BFH44

BFH44

Nov 3, 2010
    Thanks guys

Millie is beautiful! - nice knife too.

i understand about the noses - you can see in the video whenever they get near i lay the blade against my thigh for the same reason - usually they stay out of the way but every now and then Jake wants to check things out -- poor Princess; she was abused so bad that if you have anything in your hand she cowed down and stays way back -

shes been with me for 3 years and she stills has nightmares i wake up to hear her crying/whimpering in her sleep - it used to be 4 or 5 nights a week now only 2 maybe 3 i wake her up and remind her that she is safe - it breaks my heart -- but she is a lot better now - Jake is pretty well adjusted now (he was found in a dumpster when he was around 7 -9 weeks old) well i got off track

this subject reminded me of the Joke about the boy late for school because he was up all night cleaning chickens - his dad woke up in the middle of the night and the fox was in the hen house so he jumps out of bed naked grabbed the shotgun and heads out to the yard - just as he takes a bead on the hen house waiting for the fox the family dog puts his wet nose to sniff the mans butt and he naturally jumped and puled the trigger a couple time more than he planed.

Geargeek - i hope you are having some fun with the new blade

4. moogoogaidan

moogoogaidan

Feb 21, 2009
    Rad work -- we're really lucky to have you here, Eric! You have such a great attitude about life and such an obvious love for Himalayan steel. You fit right in! Great vids and review.

5. DanSmithy

DanSmithy

Jul 19, 2010
    Great Job BFH44.:thumbup:

You did what I've been wanting to do for a long time and kept on putting off.:eek:
    Video review of my HI's in use.

Couple of hints to make it better... if i may.:p

Ask you cameraman to focus more on the blade, with close-up's and so on.

As all is 'real time', he can quickly pause recording, thus giving you time to set up and redo the 'shot' if necessary. Saves you some video editing and keeps the record shorter.

Find a way to keep the camera steadier and restrain from 'rolling' it left-right too much. This is not to say i don't like your yard and dogs:thumbup:...but keeping focused on the item under review will make a better representation.

As for language, i don't really care, but others seem to do...so being nice and on subject is a better bet...and saves later edit too:D

Some time spend to plan the review goes a long way for when under the spot light. Write some points you need to talk about and keep the list close by as a reminder. Choosing good well lit spot for the review also helps with video quality.

Hope this is not offending as it's not intended.
    Well done for the courage and effort and keep it up!

6. Cpl Punishment

Cpl Punishment

Jan 28, 2006
    BFH44:

Hey, just dredging this one up again, since I got my faster than light delivery of my Farm Knife yesterday.

Wanted to ask, did you get any edge rolling or other damage hacking into hard wood like that? I was surprised that the blade was a perfect flat grind all the way to a zero edge -- no secondary bevel. Most of my use is going to be "farm knife" use -- i.e. cutting plants, big kitchen knife, etc, and was a little leery of chopping wood with such a thin edge.

BTW, with the way you talk and act, we'd probably ge43t along well in person -- or kill each other, LOL.

7. cop911

cop911

Feb 27, 1999
    Sat through the 2 videos that were still up, and damn, I told myself I'd quit (or at least cut way back on my HI buys. Now there's a new "want" on the list. Good job on the video, and like the care you took with the blade when the dog came up. Kudos.

8. Professor

Professor Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 1999
    I thought you looked an awful lot like Warren Haynes! :)

The Farm Knife is on my short list. Thanks for your vids.

Professor.

9. BFH44

BFH44

Nov 3, 2010
    thanks guys -- Cpl the edge has been fine the whole time stil haven't had to sharpen it

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011