Farmer X: what do you think about it?

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by DocT, Jul 7, 2020.

1. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    The Farmer X is an interesting mishmash. Anyone have one? What do you all think about it?

2. sodak

sodak Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2004
    I just noticed it. Basically an Alox Huntsman? I don't need it. But when has that ever stopped me..... :D

Ctarant and Storm 8593 like this.
  3. A.L.

A.L.

Jun 27, 2007
    I really want one - perfect do-it-all SAK for me. They haven't arrived here yet though.

4. marcus52AR

marcus52AR Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2014
    I own an alox pioneer and farmer. I considered getting a farmer x, but I don't foresee using the scissors often.

5. allenC

allenC

Jun 18, 2000
    I LOVE Vic scissors!!!

However...
    The alox SAKS, in my opinion, are already too heavy and slippery.
    And making one three layers thick???
    Maybe good for a belt pouch knife...but never a pocket-carry one.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  6. old Lefty

old Lefty Basic Member Basic Member

May 15, 2020
    I kinda like it, a lot. Think I'll keep my eyes open for a good deal

7. jmh33

jmh33 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Waiting for a Orange..:D Probably will be pouch/belt carry..;)
    John

Pomsbz likes this.
  8. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    I carry my Pioneer X in a leather pocket slip so it is out of the way and I do not really notice it in my pocket that way. Otherwise it can clunk around in the bottom of my pocket.

I use the scissors more than any other tool.

jmh33 and Lee D like this.
  9. Lee D

Lee D Basic Member Basic Member

May 27, 2013
    I agree 100%
    I don’t wear skinny jeans, so my pockets are roomy and I have had to dig in couch cushions to find an Alox model many times. I don’t know if this will make alotta sense lol, but when I sit down my knees are higher than my hips (long legged and just under 6’6”), so it seems like a slippery knife floating around in my pocket can slip right out. It wasn’t long ago I mentioned that I didn’t care for those pocket dangler clips, but I’ve since learned that a heavy SAK (my Pioneer X is a perfect example) will stay in my pocket if it’s attached to a dangler.
    I don’t have to check my pocket when riding my bike and it’s kinda nice not having it banging around in the bottom of my pocket.

10. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    I'd probably be interested if I hadn't already built this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I use a small S-biner as a dangler to carry it in the back corner of my left front pocket.

Pomsbz, Bastler, redsparrow and 4 others like this.
  11. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    I carry by Pioneer X in a leather pocket slip so it never slides out or around.

Lee D and jmh33 like this.
  12. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    That is PERFECT! I wish I had that skill and a place to do it. I have neither, but that is great.

Pomsbz and jmh33 like this.
  13. Wharn

Wharn Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2011
    I’m waiting for a dark blue version.

jmh33 likes this.
  14. PiterM

PiterM Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 27, 2000
    It is perfect! All I need in SAK...

[​IMG]

Storm 8593, jmh33, 315 and 2 others like this.
  15. el gigantor

el gigantor Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Amazing photo!

(Info on the pouch please?)

16. Sawl Goodman

Sawl Goodman

Jun 4, 2018
    The way I see it, the FX is most attractive to diehard alox fans.

Except for the awl, the Huntsman has arguably a better toolset. Whilst somewhat thicker, it's lighter and cheaper, and very available on the used market.

If you must have alox and a saw, why not choose the Farmer paired with a Classic or something else 58mm? It covers the scissors and adds other tools; it can live relatively discreetly on your keyring; and it's a reasonably capable knife on its own. Personally, as much as I like the Pioneer/alox Soldier, if I feel I need a saw I'll pair a Camper with a Rambler.

17. sodak

sodak Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2004
    I really prefer the look and feel of Alox, as well as the strength/durability. But you are giving up the pinhole in the celluloid models, and I have found the pin to be very useful at times. Decisions, decisions...

18. CSG

CSG

Dec 15, 2007
    I have a couple of Farmers and Cadets but only because they were being blown out by Amazon some years ago ($16-18). But, without a toothpick and tweezers, they are secondary knives to me. Adding the scissors means nothing in my world. That said, the saw on the Farmer is a great little tool to keep in your hiking daypack. Helluva firesteel scraper too. I wish Victorinox could figure out a way to add the toothpick and tweezers to the Alox models as I love those scales.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    redsparrow, Pomsbz and jmh33 like this.
  19. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    Where did you find that red one?

20. ScottK

ScottK Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 1999
    Received one today, quite a handful of knife! I'm sure it will be quite capable.
    IMG_1749_edited_ird.jpg

Storm 8593, redsparrow, DocT and 4 others like this.