1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 38 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Favorite 5" Blade?

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by wfsltt, Nov 30, 2014.

1. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    Bark River Fox River would fit your width/thickness spec. oooh, and they're making it in 3V...
    It's about 3/4" short of your length, though.

2. Liberando

Liberando Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Take a look at the Buck 102...can't go wrong.

3. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Maybe check out the Bark River Aurora. It's got a 4.5" blade and can be had in A2, 3V or Elmax. The Elmax version is a little thinner (.150") than the others (.170"). I really like its little brother, the Liten Bror, but it's about a 3-3/4" blade.

4. B34NS

B34NS

Dec 30, 2013
    That's a great looking piece of hardware there! I gotta check em out.

5. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Mission made a straight knife with a 5" beta Titanium blade. The blade was quite thick, but the lower density of the Ti made the package weight quite manageable. The model was MPS Ti 10. It came with Hytrel handles and a Kydex sheath. The SEALS used them to dig out magnetic mines as they exhibited no ferro-magnetism.

6. daniel4572

daniel4572 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 30, 2005
    image.jpg Big Chris Trailing Point....

7. shinyedges

shinyedges Unfaltering Love & Undeviating Will Platinum Member

Jun 5, 2012
    When its in your hand it feels like a glove, it has excellent balance. Every aspect of it makes it an extension of your hand, it so well thought out. Really a great knife.

8. rpn

rpn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2008
    That's a sweet looking blade! :thumbup:

9. Shaggy DA

Shaggy DA

Aug 16, 2014
    I also have to agree about JK Handmade Knives

His blades are top notch and his customer service is just as good, if not better. You also don't have to worry about some ridiculous waiting period. I have the 'Tool' with a 5" blade and it's RIDICULOUSLY sharp with edge retention to boot! Simply talk to the man and if he doesn't have a blade style you like he will probably make it for you in your own design.

10. Mick P

Mick P

Sep 23, 2014
    I just got myself a J. Russell Green River 5" hunting knife. Saw some great write-ups on them, and so far love mine. Cheap and holds a great edge. Carbon Steel though and after a single use was already forming a pantina (which I wanted anyway). I also wan to play around making a sheath for it.

11. PatrickKnight

PatrickKnight

Jan 24, 2012
    Nick is a 100% custom maker I am sure if you wanted changes made to one of his designs he would be happy to make it happen for you.

12. neeman

neeman Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 5, 2007
  13. rpn

rpn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2008
    There's a lot of love out there for the Spyderco Southfork. I plan on getting one when funds allow.

14. wfsltt

wfsltt

Apr 27, 2014
    This is way to wide and something I'm trying to get away from. I'm looking for blades well under an inch wide.

15. ivan51

ivan51

Dec 9, 2003
    Bob Dozier Wilderness

[​IMG]

16. shinyedges

shinyedges Unfaltering Love & Undeviating Will Platinum Member

Jun 5, 2012
    How about a benchmade 162 bushcrafter almost 5 inch blade. I happen to have a brand new one for sale in the exchange.

The second photo isn't mine but is a nice pic of the knife.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  17. pietje

pietje

Jun 22, 2008
    You may find some of the features you are looking for in modern Scandinavian knifes. Have a look at Marttiini, Fällkniven and Ranger Puukko.

18. KireOutdoors

KireOutdoors

Dec 2, 2014
    Take a look at the Condor Bushcraft Basic on Amazon. It is 5" long, has lots of belly, 1/8" thick, carbon steel, and is only $32. It even comes with a leather sheath!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  19. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    My favorite 5-inchers are a Dozier Pro Guides and the Blackjack 125. Have the Wilderness knife mentioned above too, but like the slimmer Pro Guides for my knife doings.

20. Sacramento Johnson

Sacramento Johnson

Nov 9, 2013
    Hi!
    If you can go to 4.5 inch blade, take a look at the Esee 4; 1095 carbon blade, flat grind, 3/16 in thick. Very dependable, managable and practical knife in the hand, and not very expensive.