1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Favorite Axe/Hatchet Internet Personality?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by EngrSorenson, Nov 23, 2020.

1. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 3, 2019
    I spend a lot of time listening to reviews or watching videos on techniques or camp crafts. This is usually the pass time when I can’t be out using my tools or whittling (or spending meaningful time with my family); I figure folks around here might be cut from similar cloth. I thought I’d pose the question, who’s your favorite axe/hatchet-related internet personality, and why?

Judge them on the content, the production value or their personalities. Love ‘um or hate ‘um, they’re fans of the axe on some level.

I have two I tend to enjoy for opposite reasons.
    1) WranglerStar: the combination of being enthusiastic, a little goofy, and not having all the facts make him a particular train wreck that I enjoy watching.
    2) skillcult: here’s a guy who seems to practice his preaching. Sometimes the explanations aren’t very good (especially anything with physics), but in general I get the impression he’s a man of experience and works at developing his axemanship.

In his own special category is Bernie Weisgerber- I recently watched the video “An Axe to Grind”. After having read the book a bunch of times, it was great to get a better impression of the man himself. I think he’d make a great Internet personality. I could watch him talk about marbles for an hour and enjoy it.

2. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    Funny You you said that. One of the reasons I love National Parks are Ranger Programs. Bernie in his videos seems like any of Public Servants that run those Evening Ranger Talks. I hope one day @Operator1975 will get Bernie to participate in his podcast or multiple ones.

I would add Mors Kochanski, Dave Canterbury and Ray Mayers

SwedeFP and EngrSorenson like this.
  3. Old Axeman

Old Axeman Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Thanks, but you should know that I lost all my marbles a few years back.

4. EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    Yessir, I’d love to listen to that.
    Also... evening ranger talks? Sounds like something I gotta look into.

Even better- in these strange days it seems folks really listen to people who’ve lost their marbles.

Something tells me you have plenty of stories and ideas about axes, forestry, and maintaining the old ways. I hope of an opportunity comes up to do something like a pod cast comes up that you take it! I’d enjoy hearing what you have to say.

SwedeFP, Trailsawyer and Old Axeman like this.
  5. JLRubicon

JLRubicon

Sep 3, 2019
    Check out Tac on youtube. Good stuff and very entertaining. Does a lot of knife reviews mostly, but does have some hatchets and axes.

EngrSorenson likes this.
  6. Brent Halverson

Brent Halverson

Nov 16, 2020
    Steve Tall who used to be active on this forum is the best personality I have ever seen for axes because he is one of the very, very few who is more interested in axes and their history than he is in himself or posting photos of "hey look what I got" or "hey look what I did" etc. which unfortunately is the personality and theme of 99% of what people put up on internet forums.

7. EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    What an odd way to lift up a member of the forums, while conversely trashing the very information-sharing medium you just signed up for.

I don't know why you think it's unfortunate that forums are mostly people-oriented; I think that's the inevitable outcome.
    Philosophically, an axe with no one to use it is just steel and wood. We only care about axes in the first place because of what they mean to us.
    Analytically, there's a finite amount of historical information one can learn about an axe, but an infinite number of things that can be accomplished with one.
    Of course forums would be chiefly centered around "look what I got" and "look what I did".

I'm glad Steve Tall is a researcher; any forum really needs that aspect to be well rounded. There's a bunch of folks here who are interested in the historical aspect, so I hope you discover them.

8. Benton629

Benton629

Oct 11, 2020
    Skillcult mostly and I do enjoy Bucking Billy Ray Smith.

EngrSorenson and JLRubicon like this.
  9. JLRubicon

JLRubicon

Sep 3, 2019
    Oh yeah, how could I forget about Buckin' Billy, he is great!!

SwedeFP, Trailsawyer and EngrSorenson like this.
  10. Glenn Bailey

Glenn Bailey Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Buckin' Billy for sure.

Lane Packwood's channel ('bushcraft sisyphus'), while mostly abandoned now, might be my favorite 'bing watch' channel (co-founder of LAMACA). I love his mumblings.

11. junkenstien

junkenstien Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Ashley Vido is the best I would think,barefoot axe girl being the best axxxe video.

12. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Wranglestar was for many years a complete joke and a hack. He's gotten a little better.

Skillcut is good. You can tell he actually has experience about the things he discusses.

EngrSorenson likes this.
  13. EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    yeah, I don’t know why it’s so much fun to watch people get stuff so wrong. I don’t think folks have to have all the facts to make videos, but I think having some information is kind of critical. For some reason WranglerStar is just unapologetically WranglerStar.

FortyTwoBlades likes this.