Favorite Lock Type Poll

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Smaug, Oct 8, 2020.

What is your favorite lock type on a folding knife?

1. Back lock

2. Top lock (ex. A.G. Russell K-31)

3. Liner lock

4. Compression lock

5. Axis lock (or similar)

6. Slipjoint (no lock)

7. Button lock

8. Other

9. Frame lock

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Roy Batty

Roy Batty Y'all can sling load DEEZ NUTS Platinum Member

May 25, 2016
    Try again.

Backlock was leading at the time I posted, and the triad lock is a type of backlock. o_O

2. jlauffer

jlauffer Dissident Aggressor Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Try this..."leading" isn't the same thing as "all". Even if the "back lock" and "other" votes all meant Tri-ad, that's still only 28% of the total. So obviously no, we all don't agree that the Tri-ad lock is the best lock...hence my comment.

craytab likes this.
  3. Roy Batty

May 25, 2016
    Okay let’s try this: One choice becomes the winner, so therefore “best” is the leading contender... therefore “we all agree” would mean that the front runner is the best lock.

Of course technically not every single individual person agrees which lock is personally best for them... HOWEVER, we all should agree that the lock that gets the most votes is best by way of vote tally.

Are you understanding that so far?

Smaug likes this.
  4. jlauffer

Apr 11, 2016
    Yes, fully understand your lack of comprehension and logic. Somehow the results of this poll are going to magically change the minds of 72%+ of people who don't agree that the Tri-ad lock is best. Got it.

5. Roy Batty

May 25, 2016

Let me try to explain it in terms you’ll understand:

It isn’t about the 72% that do NOT agree... it’s about the 28% that DO... and IF that number is HIGHER than aaaaaalllll the other numbers, backlock becomes the “winner” of “best lock” by way of voting.

Polling determines a consensus opinion, meaning the one choice will inevitably have more supporters than all the others (except in the event of a tie).

Most votes = winning choice, therefore it’s “best lock” through polling responses.
    Running back and saying “aha! But 12% like liner locks!” isn’t “logical” in a conversation of which is best, because it will never be unanimous.

Are you getting this yet?

Smaug likes this.
  6. c7m2p3

c7m2p3

Apr 20, 2018
    Because you can and yes, 'merica!

Im probably thinking about this more practically than the questions deserves and obviously for most of us a SAK is probably all we 'need' on a daily basis but owning and carrying knives aren't about needs its about rights, fun, usefulness, and pleasure. I'll never discount anyone that says they prefer the triad. From my perspective the reason why they never have really interested me is because what i detailed above. Yeah pulling out that Cold Steel Espada XL is probably wild fun but at that point just get a big ole fixed blade to get the work done.

Roy Batty likes this.
  7. jlauffer

Apr 11, 2016
    "So we all agree xyz" is not the same as "The winner of the poll is xyz", period. I'm done...have a good one all!

craytab likes this.
  8. Roy Batty

May 25, 2016
    It’s exactly the same, considering the context in which I’m explaining to you.
    Have a great day! :D:thumbsup:

9. Cvrobinson

Cvrobinson Going to hell, I’ll be back, anyone need anything Gold Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Looks like frame locks are presently the best according to the poll. But that’s because obviously 95.2% of the respondents have yet to experience a finely made precision button lock :D

Smaug, jfk1110 and Silent H like this.
  10. c7m2p3

c7m2p3

Apr 20, 2018
    Love the idea of a button lock but my only experience thus far has been a cheap Boker Kalash auto. Would love to see a no slop manual blade incorporate it.

11. Cvrobinson

Cvrobinson Going to hell, I’ll be back, anyone need anything Gold Member

Dec 19, 2017
    5F674CB4-8AF8-4440-9A66-616EE27F1F08.jpeg

Lee D, jfk1110 and MolokaiRider like this.
  12. ArchVV

ArchVV Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 8, 2015
    f'ing christ people will argue over anything, how embarrassing

Most of the knives I like have either liner or frame locks, so those are my faves. I'll vote liner this time and when this question/poll comes up again in a month or two, I'll go with frame-lock then, cuz none of this really matters.

13. c7m2p3

c7m2p3

Apr 20, 2018
    It wouldn't be a knife forum if people weren't arguing over trivial differences that amount to half a second saved in deployment or the strength of a folding knife that will never come close to being needed.

14. Roy Batty

May 25, 2016
    People that whine about people arguing are equally annoying.

15. Roy Batty

May 25, 2016
    I take it you’ve never seen the movie “The Edge”?

16. c7m2p3

c7m2p3

Apr 20, 2018
    I have.

17. c7m2p3

c7m2p3

Apr 20, 2018
    I guess I might not remember the movie entirely but as far as I know the extent of the blade work there was shaping wood into a spear. Something like that can be done with a slipjoint.

18. Roy Batty

May 25, 2016
    He made like 3 or 4 spears, and I personally wouldn’t trust a slipjoint for all that unless it was something like a custom m390 Lanny Clip.

19. c7m2p3

c7m2p3

Apr 20, 2018
    Again, I'm all for people that say that they prefer a triad lock or a back lock or an axis lock or whatever you do you! But really carving three sticks into a point puts no downward pressure on a blade making the lock almost entirely irrelevant. That is all on the stop pin at that point. Heck even lowly 420HC, AUS-8 or 8CR is going to be able to knock that task out fine anyways.

No judgement but survival scenarios are not what I pick my blades over, and if they were, im not going with a folding knife anyways I would just go for broke with a fixed blade. That and there is virtually no way anyone is letting you get on a plane with any kind of knife now and if it is a private plane like the movie, at that point im bringing guns as well which makes making spears an afterthought.

20. Roy Batty

May 25, 2016
    That’s cool. You can make excuses for why you don’t need need a strong knife... I’ll go with excuses for why there’s a chance I might need it.

It’s like going on a hike in the desert... you’ll give us all the reasons why you don’t need anything more than a small 16oz bottle, and I’ll be the guy saying we should all bring camelbaks and 2 qt canteens.
    To each their own.