Favourite double edge razor blade...

Discussion in 'Razors, Scissors, & Personal Grooming' started by lonestar1979, Feb 15, 2020.

1. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2016
    I liked the Astra's too, although I'm wedded to the Sharks. Use them twice and then load up a new one.

David Martin and NorWest_05 like this.
  2. David Martin

David Martin Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    I can get 6 good shaves out of my Feather blades. DM

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    lonestar1979 likes this.
  3. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    1st Sergeant, sir. I set the angle with layers of electrician tape then a paper clip.
    Then strop counting 30 pulls on each edge. Using 2 finger pressure. If it's not giving me the shave I expect, I'll give it some 1K grit stone work and 30 more. It then will give me a week's worth of good shaves. I've used this method of tune up on 1blade for 2 yrs. worth of good shaves. DM
    20210306_201656.jpg

jpm2 likes this.
  4. Top's Custom Kydex

Top's Custom Kydex KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 21, 2014
    Thank you. I'll have to give your technique a try.

I tried stropping a brand new Feather blade and enjoyed a nick free shave. I use a Merkur Slant razor and Feather blades are almost always good for a couple of nicks.

I appreciate your reply.

R

5. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    You're welcome, sir.
    I shaved yesterday with a new Feather blade and had to use my styptic stick on 4 spots. Thus, I got my strop out and pulled 30 on each bevel. I would not doubt my next shave will be buttery smooth and nick free. DM

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  6. lonestar1979

lonestar1979

Mar 2, 2014
    I mostly use merkur 33c,and is an excellent razor...have about 600 blades,some of best ones are astra ss and sp,silver blue,supermax and rapira...every blade performs differently in different razor...but blades above perform well in any razors.

7. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Yes, indeed my next shave was nice and close with no nicks. DM

8. Jhawlz

Jhawlz Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2021
    I've been a long time DE shaver and bought a ton of razors and different blades and settled on Astra Platinum or Gillette Silver Blue. Feathers and Sharks work well but don't seem to last as long as the others for me.

9. Easy_rider

Easy_rider

Jan 10, 2021
    thanks for sharing your experience