1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Fillet knife suggestions

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Baron85, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Baron85

Baron85 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2015
    I'm looking for a quality fillet knife since I lost my last one. I want something in a good steel. d2, 3v, vg10, are ones I have experience with and take good edges and last. I'm open to other steels. My other desire is a nice kydex sheath. Don't mind customs but don't want to have to wait 6 months or longer.

2. Silly Rabbit

Silly Rabbit Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    I've owned many, I've charter captained
    This knife though inexpensive is awesome
    Not sure of steel but it is super easy to get an immediate sharp working edge
    [​IMG]

3. Winch

Winch Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 29, 2018
    You might look at Mora too. I have one that is pretty nice.

4. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Phil Wilson makes a quality fillet knife and has a variety of steel he had made them in.

sodak likes this.
  5. Baron85

Baron85 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2015
    I checked out Phil Wilson and dozier before, but both are over 1yr wait.

I looked at the moras, victorinox, and other normal ones but didn't like the sheath options and wanted something a little nicer and with better steel.

I ended up ordering a north arms 6" kermode. Looks like it has a really nice kydex sheath, s35v blade and nice g10 handles. I went with orange. Can't wait!

https://northarmknives.com/product/kermode-6-inch-fillet-knife/

Chefget, Dangerously and Mo2 like this.
  6. TDOG1

TDOG1

Jan 11, 2009
    The Frost/Mora PG series are a very nice fillet knife for the money. Comes in different lengths, flex and little/flex (boning), the handles give sure grip and they are easy to keep razor sharp. I've got numerous fillet's (Dexter, Forschner, Victorinox, etc. including one of Phil's, and these are very good for the $. Unfortunately they don't come with a sheath :(

7. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    I've always liked the Rapala filet knives.

8. brandoak

brandoak

Aug 1, 2015
    The ONLY time 440C gets my upvote!...(Knives of Alaska fillet) flexible, holds a good edge thats easy to maintain.

[​IMG]

9. rchaj

rchaj

Sep 12, 2007
    I just got a North Arm Kermode 6” fillet knife, made in British Columbia, out of S35VN. Haven’t been able to use it on fish yet but it’s very sharp and good quality. It should be though as it cost 135 USD $.

10. SteelJunkee

SteelJunkee Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2018
    +1 for the good old Rapala.

11. GatorFlash1

GatorFlash1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2012
    I like the Victorinox Fibrox Filet knife. It is commercial grade, great grip, easy to clean, and not crazy expensive. Their boning knife is similar if you like a knife a little stiffer than the filet knife.

12. WinchesteRalox

WinchesteRalox

Mar 26, 2018
    Check out the fillet knives by martini, and then there’s also vintage shrade uncle Henry fillet knives.

13. arty

arty

Oct 18, 2003
    I have their bird and trout and have been using it in the kitchen. S35V is an excellent choice and works better than my fillet knives in VG10 (Fallkniven). The only thing you need to do before using the knife is to resharpen it. The knife comes with too fine an edge and it will chip out on you. A 25 degree included angle won't hold up. Their website even suggests this. I recommend a slight micro bevel. I had chipping, resharpened and the problem disappeared.

I use the bird and trout as a paring knife on a maple cutting board. It is nearly the same as their paring knife, but has a lanyard hole and comes with a sheath. Add a slight micro bevel with a fine stone and you should be fine. The knife I have is excellent.

14. Guyon

Guyon Biscuit Whisperer Staff Member Super Mod

Mar 15, 2000
    Dexter Russells have been on most of the charter boats I've seen. Great fillet knives for the money.

That Knives of Alaska set is a great choice.

And don't forget to look at Ka-Bar. Great grip!