First big fixed blade

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Mattswan2512, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Mattswan2512

Mattswan2512

Apr 12, 2020
    Hi all, looking at getting a big fixed blade that i can use as a beater blade on my narrow boat to batton and split wood....

So im thinking about the cold steel GI tanto as a first option to explore before committing money. This will not be a pritty blade for long so im not looking for snazzy just a beater blade and the online reviews seem to say they can take a lot of punishment??

Thoughts folks?
    budget £80 tops

gazz98 likes this.
  2. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    How about a Kabar Becker BK 9? It is a highly regarded knife and can probably be had within your price range.

n2s

3. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I would look at the Condor selection. The short machetes work very well for splitting wood.

4. Lee D

Lee D

May 27, 2013
    Ontario Knife Company

gazz98, Mattswan2512 and buckfynn like this.
  5. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    Cold Steel GI Tanto was actually the first thing that came to my mind when I read "beater".

Decent edge retention, cheap, easy to sharpen and tough as nail.

6. JamesofArc

JamesofArc

Apr 19, 2016
    Plastic pancake knife at McDonald's. You break it you take it right back to the counter and they give you a new one.

Oops, hold up, that was for a diffrent question.

My actual answer is an Ontario SP10 Marine Raider. It's a great knife with a great price. Start with high quality low price point stuff and learn and work up from there.

7. Mattswan2512

Mattswan2512

Apr 12, 2020
    Thanks all, something about that tanto blade im not normally a fan but seen a few reviews and people say you can beat this thing and with a sharpen or a strop its all good.

Talking o that i have to sharpen my kitchen knives today. Love sharpening and im getting better at it for sure especially stroping

Smiling likes this.
  8. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    As this is a us based forum, you may want to frame your price requirements based on dollars. I could recommend plenty of things but I don't know how much they would cost you or if they are even available for you.

In general, the gi tanto is exactly what you describe. However, it won't be great at actually being a knife. Also, some would consider it a stolen design. Just an fyi.

9. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    No knife is perfect, beater will never be a slicer, therefore we have a variety of knife designs.

10. DB_Cruiser

DB_Cruiser Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Varusteleka Skrama

11. Night Rider

Night Rider Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Now that's a knife! ..... Said with an Australian accent.

12. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    So budget is about $100.04 usd.

My first thought was a Cold Steel SRK in SK5. Those run $43 usd in the states. I have no idea what European availability is for many of the knives I look at.

bigsurbob likes this.
  13. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Skrama

14. JamesofArc

JamesofArc

Apr 19, 2016
    This thread is a little miss leading as a GI tanto is not a large beater knife to me. To me it's a medium knife. A big knife would be 9 or 10 inches or so.

15. YellowSwiss

YellowSwiss

Sep 28, 2015
    BK 9

16. bigsurbob

bigsurbob Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2016
    This.
    Edit: it's in the Individual Fixed Blade part of the Exchange... not the Knifemaker's.

There's a Fallkniven A1 there now for $165. Pretty sweet deal.
    Edit2: I just saw your $80 budget criteria. Plus that A1 Just sold.

Cold Steel SRK in SK-5 steel. What a deal at $43 on BHQ. Most of the Beckers are out of budget.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  17. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    BK 9 (a good bang for your buck) or Condor Hudson Bay, good large blade but fit and finish is just ok. Take a look at other Condors, maybe the goloks or parangs.

18. Revolverrodger

Revolverrodger KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2007
  19. bigsurbob

bigsurbob Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2016
    One in the Exchange right now in 3V for $125.
    Those look sweet too. Was checking them out. Like the green/black. Looking pretty indestructible. Unfortunately the wife wants to use the stimulus check for "things the baby needs." Lame.

Revolverrodger likes this.