1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

First couple knives, looking for criticism/advice

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by James Hall, Oct 7, 2013.

1. James Hall

James Hall

Sep 18, 2013
    Starting with my first ever knife made from an old edger blade:
    [​IMG]
    It was more than likely mild steel, but I tried to HT with this crude setup before slapping some walnut on it with epoxy and brass machine screws for pins.
    [​IMG]

I decided to get some O1 from Aldo. He's within driving distance and an awesome guy. I was roughing out the profile for a wharnecliffe when I thought it would be a good idea to practice on some scrap from cutting it out. Had just enough metal to make a small rat tail. I used this one as sort of a lab rat to practice some new stuff. Instead of a small belt sander this time, I made the filing jig Aaron Gough uses in his youtube vids. It was tedious, but I liked the control I had. I experimented with some filing on the spine, and etching the blade with salt water, nail polish and a 9 volt battery. Made a maple handle and rubbed on some linseed oil. I'm still learning and working out a lot of kinks, so feedback would be awesome. Here's some pics of the second knife with a bonus wharnecliffe-in-progress.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Grayzer86

Grayzer86

Jan 15, 2012
    I'm not sure about the step thickness but the first two appear to be too thick behind the edge. Th first has too shallow of a bevel IMO, and the second also looks very thick based on the secondary bevel going so high

3. James Hall

James Hall

Sep 18, 2013
    The first one's bevel was way too shallow. I was using a jig I made for a belt sander and got kind of hasty. The second one is also too thick, thanks for pointing that out. I wasn't really accounting for the blade's small width when filing it down. I'm pretty displeased with the secondary bevel because it's so exaggerated and probably takes away strength from the edge, but I think the knife was a great learning experience for basic techniques. Thanks for the pointers!