1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

First crk knife-should I return?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Forester_01, May 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forester_01

Forester_01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Hello Everyone,

I recently received my first crk knife today-- a large sebenza 21 with micarta inlays. After inspecting the knife, there appears to be a slight recurve grind. I may just be quite picky but if you could have a look at it and share with me some of your thoughts, I'd appreciate it immensely.

Here are some photos:

https://imgur.com/a/iCsRYG7

2. Wowbagger

Wowbagger

Sep 20, 2015
    That wouldn't bother me at all (think Benchmade 710 which I like).
    If you really don't like it go again until you get one that pleases you.

3. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 14, 2015
    I would send it to a professional sharpener anyway, it would cut much better, my crk’s are not the sharpest

4. Angus McGunnigle

Angus McGunnigle

Jan 1, 2013
    Have you laid the cutting edge onto a flat surface to check ?
    I do not own a CRK product, but have read wonderful things about their customer service.
    Get ahold of them and they will help.

5. Dogdrawz

Dogdrawz Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2016
    Don't like it? Ship it back. That blade will irk you till you get the one that doesn't. Unless of course you got a great deal on it.

6. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    First thought - yes, you are quite picky.

That matter aside, I have to ask:
    How recently did you receive it?
    What have you done with it? (Used, sharpened, stropped, dropped, disassembled?)

mrfields likes this.
  7. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Totally agree. Not much else you can do. If it bothers you, return it. If you don't care as much as you though, use it or send it to a professional sharpener and have it corrected. Personally, I don't see a big enough issue to warrant the return.

8. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Use it till it needs a good sharpening then ship it to Josh at Razor Edge Knives, you'll be amazed!
    I've sent him $1000+ knives, always confident and top notch service.

9. miltmaldo

miltmaldo Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2012
    Send it back that definitely looks like it has a slight recurve . $550 ohh yea send it back

115Italian likes this.
  10. marrenmiller

marrenmiller Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Oh yeah, that's definitely recurved.

I don't think that's being too picky. What on Earth are people paying $450 for if not near perfection in execution? Return it and get a replacement. Of course you could sharpen it out yourself or just deal with it, but I think that's silliness.

I'm only surprised that CRK doesn't put more effort into their edges. I've seen and heard about way too many of their knives coming with pretty mediocre edges.

11. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    If you have to ask, send it back. It's your hard earned money, get what you'll be happy with.

Alsharif likes this.
  12. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Yeah, if you took the time to make this thread it obviously bothers you. If it was a cheap $30 Kershaw it wouldn't matter but it's a $500 knife.

SharpKnives9 and Alsharif like this.
  13. sgt244

sgt244 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Yeah, if it's bothering you, I'd highly suggest you go ahead and send it back if you have the option.

Get something else for that kind of money... something that you fall in love with right away...!
    It'll be money better spent.

14. Alsharif

Alsharif Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2018
    It should be perfect. Send it back.

15. halden.doerge

halden.doerge I'll Sharpen Your Knife Gold Member

Aug 17, 2014
    I'd probably just sharpen it out on the Wicked Edge if it were mine, but I'd also say you're justified in sending it back. Sebenzas need to be held to the standard they set.

16. SharpKnives9

SharpKnives9 Gold Member Gold Member

May 21, 2019
    CRK has good customer service. Just explain youd like to swap for another. They'd understand.

17. Forester_01

Forester_01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. I decided to exchange the knife.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.