1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

First Day of Christmas Deals

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Yangdu, Dec 1, 2016.

1. TheQuest

TheQuest Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 8, 2007
    You wascally wabbit. :)

2. cul4u01

cul4u01 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Congrats, I got a Gopte years ago, it's a fine first blade, unfortunately, you'll probably contract some form of HIKV, depends all on the severity...:)

My condolences to your wallet, in advance.

3. Red Eagle Trapping

Red Eagle Trapping

Dec 3, 2016
    I have a few khuks just not a himalayan but thanks for the link I will definitely review it, I use axes and knives daily commercial trapping and am always looking for the next edged device to add to the fun.

Thanks again on the saftey links.

aaron

4. Red Eagle Trapping

Red Eagle Trapping

Dec 3, 2016
    I am pretty sure I have a touch already I have way more than I can count guns knives axes machetes, (wetterlings, gransfors, tops, bark river etc ), unfortunately they are all in the higher price point so I am used to a light wallet, luckily no kids lol.

I am glad to have found the dotd as the selection is varied off HI's site.

Let another addiction commence,

5. Red Eagle Trapping

Red Eagle Trapping

Dec 3, 2016
    Thanks so much again for the info I always lube my tools after use and for good reason can't agree more, what cold blue do you use on the blades ?

Thanks
    Aaron

6. Shavru

Shavru

Feb 20, 2014
    Welcome to my addiction and Congratulations on the Done Deal. Sounds like your particular version of HIKV may be pretty intense if you have the same type of addictive personality your list implies you share with me :D
    Don't forget once you get your new blade that some of us are currently experiencing withdrawl symptoms and LOVE to get threads full of pictures of other forumite's new additions to help us sooth HIKV vicariously. :)

7. Red Eagle Trapping

Red Eagle Trapping

Dec 3, 2016
    Perfect once I get it I will have to share

8. stwm

stwm

May 6, 2016

Forgive me for this, I just had to personify my blade addiction:
    [​IMG]

Update: My YCS Karda arrived today! It's a fantastic blade. I look forward to putting it through its paces.
    I will be working on taking some nice pictures (finally!) to share with everyone.

There was also a secret surprise in the box too..and a really good one. Auntie spoils us, she really does. Way above and beyond, a bargain at twice(three times) the price. We have the best company, don't we folks?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  9. TheQuest

TheQuest Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Just had an old tube of Birchwood Casey gel lying around, just gave 'em a quick once over since it was the middle of the week. I like the liquid version more though.

Just gave 'em a light coat so I didn't have to worry as much. Pretty sure that as soon as you start using them the bluing comes off pretty quick. If I turn my Foxy Folly into a shelf queen, I'll come back and do some detailed finishing on her.

I just didn't have time to sit around boiling vinegar or waiting on mustard to dry. ^_^

10. Bawanna

Bawanna Moderator Moderator

Dec 19, 2012
    When I cold blue I have about 4 different brands styles, the Birchwood in liquid and gel, and some 44/40 from Brownells and one other I can't remember.

I throw everything at it. Maybe gel, then liquid, then 44/40. See what's doing the best job. Sometimes several applications of Gel and then a liquid to finish it off nice. Never know what will be most effective to get what you want.
    Sometimes you never do, cold blue just don't always get it done.

11. J W Bensinger

J W Bensinger

Mar 26, 2009
    derrick Wulf gave me a bottle of Oxpho-seems to do a pretty nice job.
    When i worked at Auto Ordnance we warmed up anything that was gonna get cold blued gently with a heat gun or torch-seems to help

12. Bawanna

Bawanna Moderator Moderator

Dec 19, 2012
    Oxph! That's the 4th one I got, think I'm out now. And correct, sometimes warming the metal up a bit helps the blue take a hold better too.

Wow, now I know somebody who used to work for Auto Ordnance.

13. ndoghouse

ndoghouse Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2010
    I work for Camp Swift UXO's;) Aint found none yet but Army Corp of Engineers says they are here. I denied them access to my land cause I wanted to find them first:D They still fly over with hi tech imaging etc to try to locate them but haven seen them in a while.

14. Red Eagle Trapping

Red Eagle Trapping

Dec 3, 2016
    I have the liquid birchwood casey I use so was curious. we'll see how this new one holds up, I agree its nice to use vinegar but waiting for the grass to grow sometimes is a little too long.

15. Red Eagle Trapping

Red Eagle Trapping

Dec 3, 2016
    I appreciate the info on that I'm gonna have to start playing around and probably get a lot more khuks to practice on ;)

16. SingleGrind

SingleGrind

Jun 15, 2015
    Hey Aaron, welcome to the forum! I've had a Dhan Gopte for about a year now that I got as a blem with a hairline crack in the handle about 1/8" deep. It just got put to the test over the weekend for the very first time, and it's a great blade. Bites hard and deep. Will definitely be making a kydex sheath for it soon. I'll see if I can find a pic and/or take one.

Edit: pic
    [​IMG]

On cold blue and such, I've done it a few times, but generally don't. I hit a Baby CAK with an etchant then cold blue and it turned out great, currently with a friend in the Army. But I prefer to etch with cider vinegar if anything. I've done it twice, but primarily to remove forge scale. One on my Tamang, and the other my "kitchen" KLVUK. Toss a cup in the microwave for 30-45 sec or til warm, then either pour on paper-towel-wrapped blade and let sit for 5-10 min, or just wipe & wait. Search the threads, there's been a lot on the subject :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  17. Dobe_1

Dobe_1

Jun 19, 2013
    For utility, vasoline the edge, and then paint the blade with Rustolium or something similar. Repeat as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Red Eagle Trapping

Red Eagle Trapping

Dec 3, 2016
    Awesome that looks great Appreciate the info, just waiting for my package to arrive. LOL :)

19. Red Eagle Trapping

Red Eagle Trapping

Dec 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

finally here is a pic of the Gopte assuming it loads correctly

20. Red Eagle Trapping

Red Eagle Trapping

Dec 3, 2016
    Pic did not load hmmmmmmm