1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 42 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    an Kizer Vanguard V4516A1 Domin Folding Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

First Designs and first metal from the forge.

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by J.E.Hixon, Feb 27, 2017.

1. J.E.Hixon

J.E.Hixon

Jun 24, 2016
    Here' the first couple rough drawings of what I want to make, the Upper right is what I will be starting with. The lower left is what I would like to work towards eventually. Please feel free to offer up any suggestions or thoughts you may have. I know nearly nothing about making knives and I am willing to listen to suggestions. I'm Learning alot from the wealth of information on this forum already. My wife is already giving me the stink eye about the time spent reading on the forum.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

2. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    The upper knife should be a good start. Make the grind a FFG - full flat grid. That lip along the spine would be hard to do.

3. Bltien

Bltien

Feb 1, 2017
    I agree with Stacy. I'm a beginner and I had the lip along the spine with my first knife. It wasn't as clean as I was hoping for and just ended up causing some unnecessary frustration. My next several knives were full flat grind and I made huge improvements with my grinding in each knife. Now that I feel more confident grinding, I've done a couple knives with that lip that I'm happy with (I wouldn't say perfect though). But it took several knives to get there.

4. J.E.Hixon

J.E.Hixon

Jun 24, 2016
    Thank you for the input, I will for sure go for the FFG on the first one. Hoping to get moving on it in the next week or so.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk