First go at a one-pin tanto (w2 and ziricote)

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by ehn.be, Sep 2, 2020.

1. ehn.be

ehn.be

Jan 18, 2020
    hey! posted a couple questions a few weeks ago, said i'd post some pics when it was finished. still have to put the kurigata on the sheath, but am waiting for the tsuka material to show up and have been enjoying the clean look of it as-is.

was my first time doing a tanto, and first time working with copper outside of pins or little spacers in the handle. pleased with how it came out. will also probs play with the hamon polishing a bit more, but was easy to take pictures of as is. total length is 15.75", blade length including habaki is 10". no epoxy, everything fit together with the bamboo pin in the handle nice n snug (offset the holes in handle and tang by a couple hundredths of an inch or so to add some tension), and sheath tension fits snuggly and safely without being overly difficult to remove. tried to bookmatch the broad sides of the handle and sheath, but sanded a littttle too much for it to be perfect. still working on getting the hamon effect i'm going for, had to heat treat twice, came out cool but hoping for better next time : )

thanks for looking!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dabling, makandr, StabStab808 and 4 others like this.
  2. d762nato

d762nato Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Dang! That's Sweet nice work, I like it. You should post this on the custom and handmade knives forum here on BF they would all like this one very much.

ehn.be likes this.
  3. StabStab808

StabStab808

Sep 8, 2020
    Stunning work.

ehn.be likes this.