first impressions on the zt 0560- am I crazy or does this emperor have no clothes

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Pawliukas, Feb 14, 2014.

1. NetshadeX

NetshadeX

Oct 17, 2013
    "I dont much care for the weight, but the quality, value and made in USA/veteran connection"

You sound like a man that needs a Benchmade Adamas. It eats ZT's and shits out Kershaws. And that's coming from a guy who owns two 0300s, two 0350s and an 0200. Better still a portion of the earnings go to a foundation that provides for families of fallen US Rangers

2. Presumed_Lost

Presumed_Lost

Oct 27, 2003
    I think I may have said this, but I don't do it this way. I almost can't. From my first flipper I've found that finger-tip technique awkward and difficult. If you hold the knife naturally in the hand so that the blade is clear with the thumb resting on the scale somewhere near the pivot, the fingers are curled underneath. I just extend the index finger forward a little and hook the flipper with the side of the index finger between the first and second joint, and pull back. Seems MUCH more natural to me, doesn't require the precision of the finger-tip technique and less movement involved from the grip position, stronger muscles. No "hunting" for the flipper with the fingertip, the entire side of the finger is swiping the back of the handle, can't miss.

3. jmclfrsh

jmclfrsh

Dec 1, 2012
    ^ I do the same thing with my 0560. Using the tip only slams it into the jimping, so I've been using that technique as well.

Either way, I use a slight hand movement (only 10 degrees or so, very slight) while doing so and it opens really easily, doesn't slam into the stop pin. A little inertia goes a long way.

Another thing is, using the thumb studs, if you hold the knife blade parallel to the ground and slightly flick your wrist downward a few degrees while pushing the thumbstud parallel to the handle to deploy instead of outward away from it, it opens easily, too.

Not sure why the downward flick works really, makes no sense but it does. My buddy who got me into knives always did that, showed me for the first time and I've been doing it ever since.

Now he owns two, including a CPM-M4 710 I gave him, and I own 50. Go figure!

He's probably got more money in the bank than I do, too. :)

4. HappyDaddy

HappyDaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 21, 2013
    I have the 0566 (and the 0350). My experience with the 0566 has been similar to the OP's - so much so that I sent the knife to ZT because I was convinced it was defective. The 0350 flies open and is pretty much idiot proof. The flipper is very easy to use. The 0566 seems to be incredibly more sensitive to getting the pressure and angle of engagement exactly right. Long story short - ZT says my 0566 is fine. Okey dokey. I guess I'll learn to open it easily (when it arrives from Oregon) or I'll sell it. It still seems odd to me that the action between these two AO flippers from the same maker can be so different.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  5. Kowan

Kowan

Feb 12, 2014
    I de-assisted my 0566 and it's a much better knife without the assist.

6. stog75

stog75

Feb 24, 2003
    Presumed- You KNOW I had to go get the 0560 and try it. Very nice, quick, discrete and efficient technique you got there,....I think just might adopt the method. Thanks buddy!

7. Presumed_Lost

Presumed_Lost

Oct 27, 2003
    You're quite welcome. Not really "my" technique, of course, I'm sure a great many others do it that way, it was the first thing I tried and it wasn't until I watched some Youtube vids and the guys at a knife shop that I was even aware of the finger-tip style... but glad if I've been any help.

8. Pawliukas

Pawliukas

Jan 3, 2014

wait. I thought the 0560 was NOT an AO. that was one of the reasons I bought it in the first place.

9. Pawliukas

Pawliukas

Jan 3, 2014
    no worries bro. I have a G 10 Manix s30 partially serrated on my pocket right now! i prefer it to the Para2

10. Pawliukas

Pawliukas

Jan 3, 2014
    That's b.s. I thought zt/Kia had one of the best warranties/service in the biz. That's a huge factor for me when I buy knives.

I can't stand it when companies dont do the right thing. these knives properly maintained should last many years. you should write a letter ton somebody higher up the food chain. they owe you a knife. im sure there's others in this community that would agree.

11. Pawliukas

Pawliukas

Jan 3, 2014
    good to know. my best friend is in the army. his father is a ranger. maybe if I like the kife the knife ill get him one as a gift. he just had his first kid.

Thanks guys. ill start looking around for an Adamas :)

good thing I have a job and im not married!

12. Pawliukas

Pawliukas

Jan 3, 2014
    Pawliukas
    Pawliukas is online now Registered User

good to know. my best friend is in the army. his father is a ranger. maybe if I like the kife the knife ill get him one as a gift. he just had his first kid.

Thanks guys. ill start looking around for an Adamas

good thing I have a job and im not married!

13. Pawliukas

Pawliukas

Jan 3, 2014
    aaaaaaaand just ordered the adamas.

"diamond hard."

14. yerscattergun

yerscattergun Banned BANNED

Jan 3, 2007
    Having had 0560 and a few Adamas, the Adamas is
    twice the knife for 3/4 the cost of the 0560.
    It's smooth, heavy duty and inexpensive.
    Great QC too.

15. jill jackson

jill jackson

Sep 5, 2006
    My Adamas had lock rock right out of the box and it never went away. My 810 is solid and all the rest of my Benchmade axis locks have been as well.

16. bdmicarta

bdmicarta

Feb 16, 2012
    I have the 0561 and I like it. In that size range I also have an 0200, a BM 760, CRKT M16, and a Spyderco Manix 2 XL. I think the Manix 2 XL probably suits me better but it isn't as refined as the 0561, but then the S30V Manix 2 XL is not very expensive. I have not handled the Adamas, it might be too large for me. If I was buying another BM in that size I might look at the Contego instead.

My 0561 has a real strong detent. I have to put a lot of force into the flipper, and when it finally lets go the blade deploys completely from this force. I have tried numerous times and I cannot open it with my thumb on the "thumb stud".

17. yerscattergun

yerscattergun Banned BANNED

Jan 3, 2007
    One sample. I know that 0560s are notorious for blade play

18. JP Chestnut

JP Chestnut

Nov 26, 2013
    This was exactly my first impression of my Hinderer XM18. After many open/close cycles it has become much easier to operate and I think the sharp edged jimping has worn down a bit (or my hand has become harder). Even so, it still doesn't operate as nicely as an out of the box Benchmade. It's clearly made to the highest standards of toughness, but for my purpose it's strengths are not a good fit to my needs. I'm not surprised you feel this way about the ZT version. I'm considering the Adamas as my big hard use folder.

19. Kowan

Kowan

Feb 12, 2014
    My one sample of the 0560 has no blade play.

20. jill jackson

jill jackson

Sep 5, 2006
    My 0560 has none, so there.