First knife completed and a quick question

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by Sgt_Bobbo, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Sgt_Bobbo

Sgt_Bobbo

May 21, 2012
    Hello all. After two failures I have just finished my first knife, well mostly finished. Still need to clear the epoxy at the front of the scales and get the decarb off the plunge line. I am pretty proud of it and look forward to any feed back. My question is how soft is G10? I have a knife sheath that fits this knife that previously went to an Ontario knife. The closure button on the sheath has actually dented and discolored the handle material. It isn't a big deal and I can easily sand back it back to looking good. I have thought about making a kydex sheath for it but I am afraid that the kydex will leave black marks on it as it is removed and reseated. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    K1.jpg
    K2.jpg

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  2. RockFireForge

RockFireForge

Dec 16, 2016
    Very good job on the knife it looks great not sure bout kydex leaving marks tho I kinda doubt it if you using g10 it's what most makers use and I haven't heard of it rubbing off on stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. redsquid2

redsquid2 Добрая Росомаха

Aug 31, 2011
    I never saw kydex rub off black on G10, unless the G10 had some sharp edges.

What I have seen is light colored, like yellow or white, G10 that will collect dust, which will darken it. You have to clean it from time to time with a cotton cloth soaked in WD40, to remove dust and grime.