1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

First knife completed and a quick question

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by Sgt_Bobbo, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Sgt_Bobbo

Sgt_Bobbo

May 21, 2012
    Hello all. After two failures I have just finished my first knife, well mostly finished. Still need to clear the epoxy at the front of the scales and get the decarb off the plunge line. I am pretty proud of it and look forward to any feed back. My question is how soft is G10? I have a knife sheath that fits this knife that previously went to an Ontario knife. The closure button on the sheath has actually dented and discolored the handle material. It isn't a big deal and I can easily sand back it back to looking good. I have thought about making a kydex sheath for it but I am afraid that the kydex will leave black marks on it as it is removed and reseated. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    K1.jpg
    K2.jpg

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  2. RockFireForge

RockFireForge

Dec 16, 2016
    Very good job on the knife it looks great not sure bout kydex leaving marks tho I kinda doubt it if you using g10 it's what most makers use and I haven't heard of it rubbing off on stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. redsquid2

redsquid2 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 31, 2011
    I never saw kydex rub off black on G10, unless the G10 had some sharp edges.

What I have seen is light colored, like yellow or white, G10 that will collect dust, which will darken it. You have to clean it from time to time with a cotton cloth soaked in WD40, to remove dust and grime.