1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

First Knife! Mid-sized clip point hunter! Trackrock Hammer-In 2013 WIP(?)

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by Caden_Vekk, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Caden_Vekk

Caden_Vekk

Feb 28, 2007
    I've been a stalker of knife making forums for years now, I've always been meaning to make a small forge and just start beating some metal 'til I can't feel my hands anymore. I still haven't made a forge, but I did go to Trackrock Hammer-In in the North Georgia mountains this past weekend and I've FINALLY gotten back into forging. I did some ornamental blacksmithing when I was 14-15 and have always been into the whole idea behind taking some bit of metal and making something useful out of it.

I drove up to the mountains and not an hour into me being there a guy by the name of John, I believe, handed me a 1.5x6x 1/8th(?)in piece of 1095.
    [​IMG]

He just let me swing away and would answer any questions he could if I had any.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not a bad forging job for my first time forging in about 10yrs.

A guy helped me through the heat treating since it was 1095, as it stands, It's been through quenching and a stabalization cycle, I still need to do a tempering cycle and see what comes of it. If that all works out I should be golden to start on the draw filing.

Here's what it looks like as it stands[​IMG]

The stats are as follows:
    4 5/8 Long
    1 5/8 Wide
    2 1/4 Clip
    4mm spine

2. TacticallySharpBlade

TacticallySharpBlade

Dec 19, 2011
    Great start after 10 years. Get your forge set up and show us dozen more.

3. coldsteelburns

coldsteelburns

Aug 2, 2010
    the pics aren't showing..? :(

4. Caden_Vekk

Caden_Vekk

Feb 28, 2007
    I'm hoping to, TSB. I've got a little farrier's anvil (55lbs), but I figure it'll work for now.

Coldsteelburns: I couldn't tell you what's up