1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 42 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    an Kizer Vanguard V4516A1 Domin Folding Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

First knife that isn't a test

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by running bird, Oct 7, 2016.

1. running bird

running bird

Sep 29, 2015
    For about 2 years now I've been making knives (if you can even call them all that, they were all basically test), I've spent my time practicing forging, grinding, HT, and shaping handles. Most of my test knives where simple blade shapes that would be roughly finished (sometimes without handles), sharpened, then abused to failure, unless they didn't fail. But recently a friend from work asked me to make him a knife for an up coming camping trip. So he drew out the knife he wanted and I let him pick the blade material and wood. Sales content removed. I'm used to making a half way decent knife then deciding to just keep it for myself ( this is only a hobby for me right now so I'm not worried about things like that, I'm still learning).

The knife: https://imgur.com/a/olkBQ

Length: 6- 1/2"
    Blade length: 3- 1/8"
    Blade thickness: 1/16th"
    Handle thickness: 3/8th "
    Handle material: mahagony
    Steel: L6
    Hardness: 58rc
    Weight: ~5oz

Any comments or criticism is welcome, I still need to practice and I want some opinions

It's a pretty good feel when you finish a knife and know someone is going to put it to good use. I already have another project lined up, my woodshop teacher saw some mokume billets I was working on and asked me to make him a set of mokume spoons for his daughter.

Thanks for looking,
    Kevin

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2016
  2. J.Newman

J.Newman

Sep 30, 2016
    I like it. fantastic job, running bird!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

3. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    The knife came out good.

I removed the sales comments. Discussion of sales, selling, prices, etc. is a privilege of a Knifemaker membership level and above.

4. running bird

running bird

Sep 29, 2015
    Thanks for the feed back guys

5. redsquid2

redsquid2 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 31, 2011
    I like that a lot. Thin is in, and light weight is good, in my book. At 1/16", I would find that knife very useful on a backpacking adventure.

Congratulations on getting started with mokume. That is something I have never even touched, and I am 53 years old. If you are in high school, you have many years of creative work ahead.

6. running bird

running bird

Sep 29, 2015
    Thank you sir.

Mokume isn't as difficult as it seems in my opinion and is definetly a lot of fun to make. I use brass, copper, and nickel sheets.