First strider On it's way and question about the blade steel and the knife itself

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Allen R., Mar 28, 2013.

1. CrimsonTideShooter

CrimsonTideShooter

Oct 23, 2010
    I believe you read the marketing copy which reads something similar to:

Choclodite1979 likes this.
  2. The Mastiff

The Mastiff

Apr 21, 2006
    Thank you much CTS. I value your experiences with not only high wear and exotic steels, but obviously your experiences with Z-wear, which you have a substantial head start over me with.

I was also using a DMT coarse. A well and properly broken in one that cuts well as it should but not as well as the EC, and EEC which I have here as well. I find the coarse gives me a more even, consistent cut. I have no idea what Brad uses but Sic shouldn't be any harder. The Contego at rc 62-64 is noticeably more wear resistant, more stubborn on the stones as it should be. S30V and CPM 154 are similar to Z wear, but the CPM 154 gives a smoother, more even cut which I found to be much like the Z-wear than the draggier S30V. ( yes I try to use a light touch.)

I wouldn't think I'd have anything exotic enough to interest you in a trade but if you ever decide to get rid of one of yours please keep me in mind. I'll want an extra and by the time I will get the cash the last of these will be gone.

IMO, these are a very well built batch as well as one with an interesting and useful, all around steel.

Thanks,

Joe

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  3. Choclodite1979

Choclodite1979

Oct 6, 2019
    Love my SnG brown z-wear with anodized flame scales. Very strong steel.

4. archieblue

archieblue Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2001
    Bring back the SnG!!

5. Choclodite1979

Choclodite1979

Oct 6, 2019
    I didn’t know it went away...I’m looking for a DB at the moment - but that dream is vanishing quickly.

6. kvaughn

kvaughn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Wouldn't take a Strider if they were giving them away with 100$ bills attached. Do a search-Mick Stryder/Burger.--KV

7. John_0917

John_0917 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Cruwear/Z Wear/ PD1 are all analogs that are very close (like 20CV/M390/204P)- 3V is somewhat different (less vanadium, carbon, tungsten). However, they are all in the same family of 8%Cr PM tool steels.

8. John_0917

John_0917 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Every time I see they’re at a show I hope people steal knives from their table.

9. Choclodite1979

Choclodite1979

Oct 6, 2019
    What I don’t understand is if people don’t like Strider knives why are they on this thread ?

JDRanger and OilMan like this.
  10. kvaughn

Dec 28, 2005
    And I don't understand why people buy Strider knives knowing what a pos lying valor thief Mick Burger is. --KV

jackknife likes this.
  11. TheFactor

TheFactor Life is good ! Platinum Member

Feb 26, 2015
    I think you should get the tool but if I remember correctly a penny or “Edit” dime works perfect on one side. But the Strider tool all but eliminates the chance of rounding off the pivot bolts and or scratches.Striders are great knives but be prepared for a little lock stick on most non customs or performance shop Striders.
    It’s a long break in period but part of the ownership and pride of owning a Strider once you’ve got it broken in.
    This was my experience from many Striders from years past so they might of changed over the years. Regardless Striders are beautiful knives with a lot of soul congrats on your first Strider.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  12. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2017
    What I don't understand is why people necro a thread on a knife maker that is despised by the seemingly majority of users here

unwisefool and marcinek like this.
  13. Choclodite1979

Choclodite1979

Oct 6, 2019
    It would be useful if collectors would stick to the topic / discussion of the knife instead of using it as a opinion piece. If I remember correctly the original question was talking about the z-wear composition. Everybody likes different styles of knives. As collectors we should all appreciate this basic thing.

JDRanger likes this.
  14. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2017
    From some one whose post count is 50% in this thread in the last 24hrs and was the one who necroed a 6yr old thread. Regardless I would say brand can be relevant particularly when said brand is in the thread title.

15. Choclodite1979

Choclodite1979

Oct 6, 2019
    Thank you for this information. Very helpful.

16. Choclodite1979

Choclodite1979

Oct 6, 2019
    Thank you. Very good information.

TheFactor likes this.
  17. OilMan

OilMan Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2004
    Misery loves company, trying to recruit. :-(

18. kvaughn

Dec 28, 2005
    You're partially right. Mick Burger is one miserable,lying,bottom feeding scumbag.--KV

John_0917 and jackknife like this.
  19. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 2, 2004
    You left out convicted felon, car jacking, stolen valor E1 private scumbag! Please, get it right.:eek:

lonestar1979 and kvaughn like this.
  20. marcinek

marcinek Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Beat me to it!