First watch Project: Seiko SKXA35

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by J. MacDonald, Jun 25, 2005.

1. J. MacDonald

J. MacDonald

Jun 8, 2000
    Here's my latest (first) watch project. It's a Seiko SKXA35 200M Diver with a solid link Seiko Oyster stainless bracelet.

This watch was bought used on the other knife forum and I added a cool stainless original Seiko Oyster solid link bracelet (also from an online buddy from teh other forum). It has really come togerher the way I wanted. I started this project to take some wear and tear away from my Omega SMP, but it has taken on a life of it's own. I think from here, I might send it to Bill Yao for a domed Sapphire crystal and call it a day. While a lot of guys like a more subdued face, I really like the bright yellow and intend to keep it that way. If I need something more subdued I'll wear my SMP or build another Seiko diver with a different theme.

I'm amazed at the quality of the Seiko diver in stock form and am equally amazed by the quality of the Seiko solid link bracelet. I'm really glad I bought the strap tool and link pin press from West Coast Watches when I bought my Omega three years ago to size that watch bracelet instead of paying a jeweler to size it for me. The tools made this conversion much easier for me.

I think this watch is bad ass and is an amazing value as I'm into it for less than $200.00 so far and have got all the parts LNIB from awesome USN brothers!

With the domed Sapphire crystal I should still be just over $250.00 and will have a sharp looking and durable automatic watch that is somewhat distinctive and not like what everyone else is wearing.

I'm a happy camper

Attached Files:

2. Temper

Temper

Oct 30, 2002
    Original Seiko Oyster? Dont you mean Rolex? :confused:

Either way it looks like a nice ticker :)

3. GarageBoy

GarageBoy

May 23, 2003
    Seiko had an oyster styled bracelet,so it's technically Original Seiko. I like the look of the jubilee, but link stretch scares me

4. J. MacDonald

J. MacDonald

Jun 8, 2000
    I should clarify, the bracelet is a Seiko solid link bracelet in the Oyster style. I would say that from what I've seen, it's the equal of the Rolex stainless bracelets as far as qualityo of construction and finish go. I find both inferior to an Omega bracelet, but it's pretty nice, especially considering the price.

My wife thought the SKXA35 looked pretty cool with the yellow face when I first got it, but says it looks WAY cooler on the bracelet.

5. Ming65

Ming65

Sep 4, 2002
    Nice work J-man. I got my SKX-171K adjusted recently. It now gains 11sec per month. Seiko auto's really are an underrated piece of kit.

6. DB1

DB1

Jan 4, 2002
    You'll love the domed sapphire crystal, makes the watch look much better (and more expensive...) - I had them installed by MKII on both my 173 and 007.

7. J. MacDonald

J. MacDonald

Jun 8, 2000
    Hey DB1, is the $60.00 price listed on MKIIs site installed, or is there a labor charge on top of that?

8. DB1

DB1

Jan 4, 2002
    John,

I believe there was a $40 charge to install the crystals, but I had both watches in at the same time, and I -think- Bill only charged $40 for both (maybe its a charge per order basis, because I had hands and a dial replaced on one of the watches as well) - even so, the $40 seems worth it because he regulates the movement as well.

Hope this helps.

Jason

9. Eric H

Eric H Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 15, 1999
    I had a domed crystal installed on my O&W dive watch, and love the new look.

I have since picked up a Seiko 007, and am also truly amazed with the look and quality. I threw it on a black NATO strap, and cannot take it off.