Fishing 2020

Discussion in 'Hunting & Fishing' started by Mark Knapp, Jan 4, 2020.

1. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Boring, maybe. But I bet it is tasty.

2. Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Dec 20, 2009
    Yes, very tasty

3. Bugs57

Bugs57 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2016
    bass.JPG
    Picked this one up this morning.

mewolf1, Pokerchip, Shappy and 3 others like this.
  4. Bugs57

Bugs57 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2016
    apocolypse bass.JPG

Picked this one up this morning. Caught it in same spot as previous bass. Just noticed I have the same shirt and pants on; yes I do wash them and change clothes. Also caught a smaller 4 pounder and 2 smaller bass.

315, mewolf1 and PeaceInOurTime like this.
  5. morison75758

morison75758

Apr 15, 2020
    Time spent on the water… Just like anything else, the more time you spend doing it the better you will become… Learning and understanding the seasonal movements of the fish spices and their forage fish you are trying to catch. You also need (5 person canoe) to understand how they react to changing weather conditions. Anybody can learn to cast a rod and how to tie on a bait. But to be able to locate and catch fish consistently you need to be able to figure out where they are at , and what they are feeding on.

Bugs57 likes this.
  6. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    We’re still shut down here. That’s what I’ll leave it at. I’m chomping at the bit to get out fishing as soon as they open everything up. Probably be time for silvers before they figure it out.

7. Mark Knapp

Dec 20, 2009
    My Birthday was on Saturday and I was planning on isolating myself, on a lake near by, for a day of ice fishing for for pike. As most of my plans do, this one fell through too, but this one for the better. My cousin Dianna called me on Friday night to invite me on a fly out-trip fishing trip for pike with her and her boyfriend Eric. Instead of going fishing I spent Saturday straitening gear from a winter of ice fishing and getting ready for the trip on Sunday.

I met Eric and Dianna at Eric's place Sunday morning, we loaded his Cessna 170 with gear and lunch for the day and flew to an un-named lake about an hour from Fairbanks in the Minto Flats north and west from Fairbanks. Minto Flats is known to have lots of lakes with lots of pike and many pike over 40 inches long. A forty inch pike is a lot like a 30 inch rainbow or a 20 inch bass, but even if you know they are there, it's a rare thing and very a special thing to catch one.

We landed on the lake around ten thirty in the morning and began drilling holes and setting tip-ups. After we had set a tip-up for each of us we drilled more holes and began jigging, covering large portions of the lake in order to find fish.

The morning started out slow with only a fish or two in the first couple of hours but we continued drilling holes and moving around the lake in search of fish. After four hours I came upon a spot that had promise. I was catching a fish every half hour or so, it was windy but the sun was warming things up enough to keep the holes from freezing up.

I was sitting on my bucket, back to the wind, face in the sun and kind dozing off a little with my hands in auto-jig mode when I got a really good hit, I set the hook and could tell it was a pretty nice fish. I fought it for a about ten minutes, as it made four big runs and finally got it to the hole. It touched on both sides of the eight inch hole as it came out.

[​IMG]

My Birthday pike coming out of the water. A forty inch plus fish.

[​IMG]

We didn't have a tape measure or a scale but we rough measured it to about 42 inches and 22 pounds.

[​IMG]

We let some smaller fish and the big one go. Here are the ones we kept for eating.

[​IMG]

Dianna and Eric reflecting after a really nice day on the ice.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    colin.p, mewolf1, FOG2 and 1 other person like this.
  8. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Nice fish! I've never eaten pike, how good is it and what is your favorite way to cook it?

9. Mark Knapp

Dec 20, 2009
    I love pike. My favorite way is deep fried in the Fry Daddy but you can't eat it like that all the time, apparently it's not good for you. I pan fry it in butter. It's really good used as poor mans lobster and I have cooked it on a stick over a camp fire.

10. DeLinux

DeLinux

Feb 6, 2020
    Oh guys you are so lucky that you made your first catch of the season already. Here down in Florida everything is shut down. I planned to go fishing at the beginning of May, but since everyone is isolated and the fishing shops are closed as well I can’t buy new leaders and weights. This fact makes my fishing impossible at the moment. Even Florida Shark fishing charters who used to work hard in this period, now are closed and no idea when they will start their activity again. I hope soon it all will be done and I will share with you proudly my first catch!

Last edited: May 15, 2020