1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 42 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    an Kizer Vanguard V4516A1 Domin Folding Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Fishing thread

Discussion in 'JK Handmade Knives' started by ty_higg, Jul 19, 2019.

1. ty_higg

ty_higg KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 16, 2011
    figured this would be a cool thread to post fish pictures or just talk about fishing in general.

I recently got into fly fishing for carp and bass mostly carp though and it’s a blast. And most importantly way cheaper than a lot of people make it out to be.
    E1E31A17-8F14-4870-9E0E-980B705F6388.jpeg

JK Knives and Mack like this.
  2. JK Knives

JK Knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 6, 2001
    I haven’t fished since my kids were little, I keep thinking I should give it another try, but something always comes up.
    I used to fish with B JACKSON years ago.

ty_higg likes this.
  3. ty_higg

ty_higg KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 16, 2011
    Yeah it’s been forever since I fished then cabelas had fly fishing stuff on sale, and I had always wanted to try it so figured it was best to buy everything on sale. Then it took me about a month to catch my first fish but I’m getting a lil better each time definitely a learning curve.

Mack and JK Knives like this.
  4. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    I can still remember a fishing trip my great uncle took me on when I was around 13. We went to Long Lake in Wisconsin. He taught me to fly fish for bluegill, that was fun.

5. rdrogers

rdrogers Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 19, 2010
    My brother moved to North Carolina a few years ago, and we’ve been having a blast on the smaller wild trout streams in the mountains. Most of my trout fishing experience has been on Arkansas tailwaters where there are some monster trout. These little wild streams and a short, light fly rod are so much more fun.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    Very nice!

7. rdrogers

Jul 19, 2010
    At home we are lucky to have better than average Bluegill, which I like to eat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This catfish was was fun on a 4wt fly rod.

[​IMG]

Yeah, I like to fish.

8. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    That’s a good size bluegill.

9. rdrogers

Jul 19, 2010
    We’re blessed with some great habitat at the local state park. I never have pics of the really nice ones because they go straight back to make more big ‘gills.

ty_higg and JK Knives like this.
  10. B JACKSON

B JACKSON

Sep 19, 2012
    Well, no pics so it probably din't happen, but took my little jon boat to Kankakee River this AM. Got a 4lb Channel cat, a 12" channel cat and one foot long smallmouth. Left when the heat index hit 102
    The bigger Catfish left with me and is now filleted and awaits the grill this evening.
    Fun time....river very empty of people!

11. fishiker

fishiker

Nov 5, 2006
    Took this last month when fishing Avalon Pier with my son.
    [​IMG]

ty_higg, Simplejack and JK Knives like this.
  12. frontiertom

frontiertom Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    I love fly fishing too! I really love fly fishing for brim (or bluegill, depending on where you're from)! That was a beautiful bluegill rdrogers! Yes sir, I love eatin' bluegill and crappie! A big old fish fry, with a mess of bluegill, and crappie, hush puppies, onion rings, cold slaw, and some good old home made Mac and cheese, and sweetened sun tea! Oh my goodness! Look out, I'm coming through! LOL! Don't that sound good boy's? Darn, now I done made myself hungry! Later!

13. Rose and Thistle Custom

Rose and Thistle Custom Josh Mead Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 9, 2018
    One of the three worst things about Alaska is it's lack of bluegill. My happiest evenings were spent flyfishing for bluegill.

HarryD, ty_higg and woodysone like this.
  14. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    I have to ask, I am not a fisherman, are the carp fun to catch and release or does anyone actually eat carp? See a lot of carp at the lake we visit, Lake Gaston.

15. Rupestris

Rupestris Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2006
    Typically, they're released. In most other countries Carp is a sport fish and are eaten. Depending on where you're fishing, you'll see people keeping them.

They are fun to catch. If given a choice, I'd eat fresh caught Carp before farm raised Tilapia.

16. ty_higg

Dec 16, 2011
    I know some people that eat carp and say it’s actually pretty good, but in terms of fun to catch they are a blast and on the fly rod they can take all your line in a couple of seconds. Very very fun fish to catch wether it’s on the fly or using dough bait.

17. Rose and Thistle Custom

Rose and Thistle Custom Josh Mead Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 9, 2018
    Carp are actually a good challenge, can be a bit finicky on the bite and once you have them on fight like craazy. Go flyrod or light tackle and they are world class fun. I've never eaten one but I mostly fished them in a little creek through town that I wouldn't eat anything out of.

ty_higg likes this.
  18. Simplejack

Simplejack Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2017
    I wanna go on one of those jumping carp shotgun shoots.

HarryD likes this.
  19. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Thanks for the thoughts on carp. Jumping carp shot gun shoots sounds interesting. Do they jump high enough that you don't shoot the water or blow a hole in your boat? :D:p

Simplejack likes this.
  20. Rupestris

Rupestris Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2006
    The Asian carp (invasive species) can probably get six feet out of the water on a good day.

Here's a video by some of our local thrill seekers.