Fit and Finish Question: Mac Professional Paring Knife

Discussion in 'Kitchen Cutlery & Tools' started by Alan Rogers, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Alan Rogers

Alan Rogers

Aug 24, 2020
    Just received this to replace one I'd had for years and that a worker used and "lost". The new one is sharp and a beauty, except for the fit and finish of the tang/handle. The tang is not level with the handle and is slightly higher. In addition the underside of the tang has not been ground smooth. Not being able to hold the lost knife, I compared to my MAC Professional Mighty Chef's Knife 9.5 inches and my Fujiwara FKM Stainless Sujihiki 270 mm and while the transition is not glass like, it is much less noticeable on both and nearly imperceptible on the Fujiwara. Similarly the tang has been ground smooth on the Fujiwara and much smoother on the MAC Mighty compared to the new MAC Paring knife. All these knives were purchased 10 years ago on CKTG. Has quality control slipped? Is what I'm feeling acceptable? Meaning, am I likely to get that fit/finish issue again if I return and replace it?

2. KenHash

KenHash

Sep 11, 2014
    Photos would help.

GABaus likes this.
  3. Alan Rogers

Alan Rogers

Aug 24, 2020
    Agreed. I took several this AM, but can't seem to upload or paste them into a reply. Is there n instructional link on how to add "media"?

4. Alan Rogers

Alan Rogers

Aug 24, 2020
  5. KenHash

KenHash

Sep 11, 2014
    Thanks for the pictures. With all factory knives you occasionally run into such "lemons". When the tang is below the scales I usually just sand it down. But if the tang rises above the scales, to the extent that it bothers you, I would suggest you send it back for replacement. There are guys here who have the equipment and would just grind it down, but if you just bought it, it should be replaced.

GABaus and Alan Rogers like this.
  6. Alan Rogers

Alan Rogers

Aug 24, 2020
    Thanks. Helpful advice.