1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Fitting scales to full integral full tang?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by John mc c, Feb 23, 2019.

1. John mc c

John mc c

Aug 23, 2018
    Hey guys
    So I've forged out a full integral chef knife yesterday and just thinking about how to go about fitting scales
    Both ends are radiused on small wheel attachment
    I've done fitting scales to a integral bolster with the pencil on the bolster marking the scale trick but I don't see that working so good on a full integral
    Is it just a matter of trial and error til you'e happy or any tricks of the trade I'm missing
    Thanks for any help

2. Matt Rochester

Matt Rochester

Nov 28, 2014
    Pics?

3. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    not sure of the question. are you asking how to radius your handle material to fit the radius between the tang and integral bolster which was done with a small radius attachment ? yes a photo is worth a page of words :)

Tin.Man likes this.
  4. John mc c

John mc c

Aug 23, 2018
    I'm reading on how to upload a pic here atm
    I'm far far from tech savy
    I'l get it just doing couple things at once here
    You are describing an integral knife which has integral bolsters but I'm talking about what id call a full integral which has integral bolsters and an integral butt cap
    I'l get pics up this eve i've just taken some and joined imgur

5. John mc c

John mc c

Aug 23, 2018
    [​IMG]
    Just rough forged.
    Won't get to do pre ht grind til monday
    I' only forging less than 4 months and that Top knife I finished before Christmas but it didn't make it out the door

Brian Stucker likes this.
  6. John mc c

John mc c

Aug 23, 2018
    [​IMG]

3fifty7 likes this.
  7. John mc c

John mc c

Aug 23, 2018
    That last shot explains bit better
    I will radius both of the internal sides of bolster and butt cap on the forged knife
    Like the finished knife but on both ends and I'll be aiming for more slimmer than that bolster
    Now fitting the scales on the finished knife was bad enough and my wood work is criminal as you can see but how do I fit a full Integral?
    I'l post back with a pic of it ground on Monday and it will explain better

8. John mc c

John mc c

Aug 23, 2018
    Just to explain the state of that finished knife
    It was part of a set with a nakiri,petty and gyuto that I gave as a Christmas gift that I had a week to do by hand although I did have the gyuto already forged out
    It' didn't pass muster in the end so it never got a decent finish.

9. John mc c

John mc c

Aug 23, 2018
    And again just to explain my 52 mm gyuto template with the square heel and flat profile fits easily in that forged knife
    That finished knife was the one and only knife I ground the heel like that.looks terrible,part of the reason it's still here
    But they all forge that way for me and I correct on the grinder

10. weo

weo KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 21, 2014
    If I understand the question, my answer would be it's the same way as what you did for the bolster end fit on the finished one. It just takes a lot more careful marking and grinding. I'd suggest hand filing or sanding and repeated checking of the fit.

11. argel55

argel55

Oct 30, 2005
    If you used a 1/2 inch small wheel for make the radius, you can get a1/2 inch router bit to mount in your drill press. Dress the front of the scale to match then measure and work to match the butt cap radius.

12. 3fifty7

3fifty7 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2016
    I admire you for tackling this, and will be following this thread.
    I’m in the process of a practice integral just to get a feel for fitting the handle scales to the bolster area.

May I ask how long you have been forging and approximately how many knives you have forged ?

13. John mc c

John mc c

Aug 23, 2018
    Thanks guys it's just as I thought.trial and error it seems
    I'm forging about 4 months but that's all day every day and I've forged about 40 integrals in that time.mostly chef knives from 1" round with hammer anvil and guillotine fuller
    I'm living the dream and loving it :)

14. John mc c

John mc c

Aug 23, 2018
    The 1/2" router bit is good idea but I don't really use a small wheel attachment as such I run the belt over and back under the top wheel of my flat platten and eye ball it in using that,all DIY even the wheels I made so it's very imprecise

15. Joshua Fisher

Joshua Fisher

Mar 27, 2018
    Just a bit of advice and safety warning, a router bit will not work in a drill press like that at least not safely, most drill press max out at 3000rpm, only a few that I’ve seen go above that speed, that is way too slow for a router bit, they are designed to run above 12000-20000rpm with small bits the faster the better usually, other than the speed issue most drill presses are not made to support side to side force, unless you have a mill that is made for that. At slow speed the bit will want to grab more and chatter more which is very dangerous on such a small work piece. You could take a piece of metal and sand the radius into it and the use adhesive backed paper attached to the metal piece to sand the radius into the front of the scale.

16. John mc c

John mc c

Aug 23, 2018
    Thanks Joshua I don't know anything about mills or their bits
    And thanks for that idea I might try that with what I came up with myself which is similar,I'll use an integral like the finished knife in pic,just without the scales on and use that as a guide,Mark inside of integral with pencil and offer scales up to it then sand off scale where pencil is.the usual way to do a radiused scale but just on both sides
    I need another nights ash in my annealing box after spilling a lot so be a day or two before I get to try this

17. Salem Straub

Salem Straub KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 20, 2008
    It can be done, using the same pencil trick, or just by rubbing the scales to the steel and then inspecting for small shiny spots on the wood, then removing with needle file, then try again, and repeat.
    Just did this one recently: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just takes a lot of patience, and maybe a good book or music in your headphones.

3fifty7 likes this.
  18. weo

weo KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 21, 2014
    or practice Buddhist meditation techniques to just be in the moment.

19. John mc c

John mc c

Aug 23, 2018
    Wow Salem stunning work.as always
    And thanks
    A needle file would be much more accurate than sandpaper like I've used before
    I'm a master of zenning out at this work so no problem there
    Altho I work in silence. Doesn't stop me dancing around my anvil when steel is heating up tho:D
    I'l get them annealled tonight and ground tomorrow.