Fixed blade edc question

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Weasipoint, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Weasipoint

Weasipoint Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Aug 8, 2019
    Hi all,
    I have been wanting to start carrying a fixed blade as an edc, I do carry them when working and hiking but not when shopping or doing regular tasks. Question i have is what is a good size that won't make people give you weird looks and wont seem out of place? I live in San Antonio Texas so basically everything can be carried but I don't want to make people uncomfortable, this is a tool mainly and a weapon second for me. I understand that some people will always feel wierd seeing a knife on the belt, but for those of you that do edc a fixed blade, what size do you stay under?

DangerZone98 and sliceofaloha like this.
  2. Lee D

Lee D Basic Member Basic Member

May 27, 2013
    IMO it’s hard to top the G3
    Big enough for most jobs but not so big that it freaks people out, and it tucks away nicely. Ive forgotten it’s on my belt a couple times.

[​IMG]post a picture

3. bikerector

bikerector KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 16, 2016
    Are you comfortable using a knife with only a 3-finger grip? If so, that will go a long ways to getting something small and easy to carry. I don't like small grips so I tend towards a 4" handle with 2.5" to 3" blade.

I would worry less about what people thinj for now and look for sometging that feels great to carry (barely notice it's there) and still does what you need it to do.

I'm sure @Horsewright can show you all kinds of goodness and probably sets the benchmark for small but useful blades when these types of threads come up. But, there are a lot of tastes and preferences out there.

So, for starters, what size limits can you tolerate on the small end and how important is the comfort of carrying the knife?

cbach8tw, oldmanwilly, BTGuy and 2 others like this.
  4. Weasipoint

Aug 8, 2019
    I'm a pretty big guy at 6'5 and have large hands. I dont mind smaller handles and have learned to adapt to most after some time. My work and hiking blades are all larger at 7in + but I always feel weird carrying them in day to day life. I did order the spartan alala but It hasn't come in yet. Ive been watching videos on it and seems like I wouldn't mind going a little smaller than that also, but not much more just for comfort sake when grabbing it

5. Bastler

Bastler Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2020
    I made a pocket sheath for my Brisa Necker that I tether to my belt loop with a watch chain. The end of the handle is barely visible, so the only funny looks I get are due to my appearance and not my knife.

cbach8tw, guy g and Weasipoint like this.
  6. sliceofaloha

sliceofaloha Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 4, 2018
    How do you feel going around with an untucked shirt? I'm also thinking about a daily carry small fixed blade though I don't often wear a belt so maybe not practical based on that.

7. Weasipoint

Aug 8, 2019
    I dont mind the un tucked shirt, I only tuck it in while at work. I also considered wearing longer shirts to cover the knife but my main issue is im tall and slim, so when I wear those big shirts it looks a little ridiculous lol.

oldmanwilly and sliceofaloha like this.
  8. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    I would say that whatever folder blade length satisfies those requirements in your locale will also work for a fixed blade.
    Personally, I prefer a full size handle and a short blade for daily carry requirements, whether folder or fixed. So what works for me may be different than what works for you.

9. jideta

jideta Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 8, 2020
    I go 7" minimum and out to maybe 8.5". Nothing less than full hand grip; blade minimum about 3" but prefer 4".
    I carry vertical and horizontal depending sometimes on shirt.
    Hell my folders open to over 8".
    9" is getting into overkill territory...

Weasipoint likes this.
  10. sliceofaloha

Oct 4, 2018
    I recently found this small of the back carry for my Seal Pup, have yet to wear it but someday.... Seal Pup is about 9". Guess you could wear it in the front also.
    [​IMG]

11. Worldwatcher

Worldwatcher Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2015
    I wear an xl glove and found the white river backpacker with para wrap on the handle just about perfect for me. Easy 4 finger grip and fits in my front pocket.

cbach8tw and Weasipoint like this.
  12. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    4 to 6 inches works well for around town for me. 7 is a bit big.

13. sliceofaloha

Oct 4, 2018
    Maybe also consider a friendlier handle color? I’ve seen denim micarta handles for example.

14. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Seven inches OAL is about the max for me. With sheath, they can go a little longer, but I want them to drop comfortably into a front pocket, or a tool pocket. Anza makes a variety of very tough knives with blades in the neighborhood of 2.25-2.5” with plenty of handle. The BK-14 falls into this range, with a little more blade and a little less handle.
    Moras are light enough to be comfortable even though they are a bit longer.

15. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    I live in an area in which fixed blade carry appears uncommon. I started looking for fixed blades before I went back to carrying them; and I've not noticed one. Almost surprisingly, I've never noticed any negative reaction to the knife on my belt (though I no longer look for reactions to its presence). I generally go with 4" or under, as that generally meets my needs; but I don't really stress all that much if I go a little over. For the past few months (since I got it), I've been carrying the Quarantine a lot...despite my initial thought it was too big for an EDC type knife.
    For the oft belt-less, don't let that stop you. Pocket carry is a thing. I probably carry my fox river lt in my pocket as often as on my belt... and there are a lot of options out there.
    Regarding the G3 mentioned above - the 3D scales really changed my opinion of that knife (for the better)

16. jideta

jideta Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 8, 2020
    sheath can make a difference

seax.jpg

All my sheaths are squared so they aren't identified as knife sheaths right off. They are also somewhat universal as I have mostly Wharncliffes though I do carry 'regular' blades once in a blue moon.
    This one is rh horizontal carry.
    I also have the same thing in high ride vertical clip on. The sheath extends just two inches below the belt line so I can go a bit longer.
    Again the sheath is squared off so when my shirt rides up it's not instantly identified as a knife.
    OAL of pictured blade is 9"

I think you just start carrying and see what works.
    In my case, blades just started getting longer until I found a limit.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  17. jstn

jstn Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2012
    White River Backpacker Pro is a perfect EDC fixed.

18. bikerector

bikerector KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 16, 2016
    You can pocket carry a fixed blade, even using a slip, so no need for a belt and tucked shirts aren't a problem as long as you're fine carrying in a pocket. You'll likely need a different sheath than stock but there are options out there stock or you can get a custom. I've used the Collector knives clip sheath a lot but also a spring clip on kydex. Or just drop a kydex or leather sheath in the pocket. If you have belt loops, you can tie a string to the belt look to help pull the sheath off as you draw it for a one-hand draw but you'll need two to resheath.

Generally, I prefer crossdraw these days as it's convenient and easy to carry while normally being easy to conceal.

cbach8tw, sliceofaloha and Weasipoint like this.
  19. PheonixKingZ

PheonixKingZ Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 9, 2020
    I have carried fixed blade knives in my pocket sometimes. (Put your belts through the belt loop, and then stick the end of the knife in your pocket.)

Super concealed and easy to access.

sliceofaloha likes this.
  20. Mannlicher

Mannlicher

Nov 19, 2008
    I carry a fixed blade often. As far as I can tell, no one really notices. Cross draw in a horizontal sheath works well for me.