Fixed blade

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Bhickman9867, Apr 14, 2020.

1. JamesofArc

JamesofArc

Apr 19, 2016

Wasent trying to talk big, was being sarcastic.

Guess I could ease back a bit. Did not mean to hurt anybody, just bored and was being silly.

2. Bhickman9867

Bhickman9867 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 9, 2019
    Thank you for the information. I didn’t buy the Benchmade simply because it was a Benchmade. I collect knives and it has the steel I was wanting, 3v, and the style, puukko, and also liked that grip better than the wooden tops puukkko. So that’s why I chose it. That being said I’m not a big fan of Benchmade because they are generally overpriced for what you get.

3. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    Benchmade puukko is a great choice - I made a sturdier sheath for mine (used the one it came with for a pattern). I'd rely on it a backpack trip anywhere.

4. Bhickman9867

Bhickman9867 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 9, 2019
    I do really like that lt Wright illuminous 5. It looks like a great knife. I love the cpm 3v steel.

5. ScottsBad

ScottsBad Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 13, 2015
    So far its been great. Its my first LT Wright. I actually prefer the convex grinds that Bark River Knives uses, but the reason I decided to try the Illuminous is the wide 3V blade, blade shape, and generous handle (I have L-XL hands). I'm a collector too, but all my knives get used, no safe queens.

Check out Bark River Knives they have a huge selection. DLT and KnivesShipFree are the two biggest BRK dealers.

Anyway, happy knife hunting.

6. Troutzill

Troutzill Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2009
    One more vote for a Scandi LT Wright. They are worth the money and less expensive than the equivalent Bark River.

7. ScottsBad

ScottsBad Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 13, 2015
    You know, LT Wright makes very good knives, but a scandi grind is not always optimal for me. As I said I actually prefer a convex sabre grind like BRK uses.

I don't think LT Wright is cheaper. The Illuminous is $250, and Bark River Bravo 1.5 in 3V is $269, the Aurora II (also 3V) is $255 and convex is harder to grind

The other thing is that LT Wright doesn't make many of the knives I want in 3V. I really don't want to spend that kind of money on 01 tool steel or AEB L although AEB L is not bad.

in the case of the Illuminous 5, the planets all aligned and I thought I'd give the scandi a try. Its a good blade but it'll eventually end up more like a scandi-vex.

I really like the Illuminous 5 a lot however.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020