Flag colored knife handles?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by David Mary, Jan 12, 2021.

1. David Mary

David Mary Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2015
    I've seen knives where the handle colors were selected to identify with a particular flag. Like a red, white and blue handle, for example. Or Canadian colours red and white, etc. I'm talking specifically about fixed blades, and not referring to handle scales with machined components and inserts, but just straight up layers of different colored materials cut and layered or assembled by hand in unique ways to represent a nation's flag.

How do you feel about knives like this, when is it just right, when is it too much, and pics of the ones you find the most beautiful and most ugly would also help. Thanks!

2. lieferung

lieferung Basic Member Basic Member

May 24, 2016
    The creations of Czech maker 'wajgy' come to mind. I believe he uses two colored stacked layers to represent a flag, the rest of the handle is a tasteful black. Personally I wouldn't want a flag knife, but if I did I would really enjoy the way he does it.

David Mary likes this.
  3. mwhich50

mwhich50 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 18, 2011
    I like traditions in R/W/B. That's about it.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Until I saw this!
    [​IMG]

Lee D, Zulus and David Mary like this.
  4. CWL

CWL

Sep 15, 2002
    Reading this, I immediately thought about WW2 theater knives with handles made from cut plexiglass.

[​IMG]

Lee D, Hurrul, Wild Willie and 5 others like this.
  5. GermanyChris

GermanyChris

Feb 18, 2015
    It's to easy to over the tasteful line with stuff like that.

6. Zulus

Zulus Gold Member Gold Member

May 29, 2020
    [​IMG]

mwhich50, David Mary and Pilsner like this.
  7. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    [​IMG]

David Mary likes this.
  8. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    Totally subjective.

9. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    More subtle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Wild Willie

Wild Willie Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I definitely think you can go from being really nice to tacky in a big hurry, but that sentiment can be applied to a lot of motifs on a knife handle.

David Mary and Lee D like this.
  11. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Gold Member

Oct 11, 2013
    When I was younger, I was a big fan, no matter how tacky they were. Nowadays, I'm much more reserved and probably wouldn't carry something like that. That said, a large CRK Seb in "Glorious" pattern is essentially the top of my grail list, such as it is. So, as you can see, subjective.

David Mary likes this.
  12. Hurrul

Hurrul Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2017
    I do have one knife from a BF maker with a handle purposely built with the color elements of red/white/blue. It is a subtle announcement, yet still a singular and prominent feature of the handle (top knife below):
    [​IMG]
    Friends/family have seen it and described the US flag colors....and some the French flag.

I admit that I am unfamiliar with most countries flag colors and patterns. I have a few Fiddleback Forge knives and the multitude of liner and handle scale combinations put out by that shop likely means, inadvertently, a number of countries color schemes are accounted are for.

David Mary and Quiet like this.
  13. tltt

tltt

May 1, 2008
    [​IMG] .

[​IMG] .

I like the flag designs on traditions, but usually hate it on tacticals. I'd definately try a few mock ups, and see what the feelings are. Like scrimshaw, filework, etc.... there's a narrow range between awesome and awful.

David Mary likes this.
  14. David Mary

Jul 23, 2015
    There it is!

This too! Thank you gentlemen! This is very helpful.

15. David Mary

Jul 23, 2015
    I gave it a shot once, a couple months ago, but the knife just sat on the exchange, so maybe it was lacking in the subtlety department? I am open to constructive feedback on this one, thanks:

IMG_9079.JPG

jux t, tltt, MolokaiRider and 2 others like this.
  16. mabrowns

mabrowns

Apr 18, 2012
    I personally like it

David Mary likes this.
  17. David Mary

Jul 23, 2015
    I have an idea. I'll try and get it done today, and post the results. Thanks everyone!

And thank you mabrowns. :)

18. Wild Willie

Wild Willie Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I was eyeballing it myself, but if I bought every knife I saw in the exchange that I had a passing fancy in I'd have a tough time payments on other stuff.

David Mary likes this.
  19. David Mary

Jul 23, 2015
    I guess I have something new to offer. I feel these came out well for a first attempt. Now I have to decide what to use them on.

IMG_9221.JPG

Because that's more subtle... :rolleyes:;)

20. David Mary

Jul 23, 2015
    I think I'm going to use the same blade design as the one above. Another question: Should I make the Kydex sheath
    1) black?
    2) blue?
    3) red?
    4) white?
    5) red and blue?
    6) red and white?
    7 blue and white?