Flick or Slow roll? What are your preferred way to open your CRK?

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by Kmikaz3, Oct 18, 2020.

How do you disengage your CRK

1. Flick

12 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. Slow roll

79 vote(s)
    70.5%
  3. Depends on the CRK (requires explanation)

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. Both

19 vote(s)
    17.0%
  1. jascolli

jascolli Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2014
    I'm a slow roller too. I like the feeling when my thumb is on the thumbstud when the lock bar clicks into place. It's so rewarding on a CRK.

guy g, Dcdavis and Kmikaz3 like this.
  2. Kmikaz3

Kmikaz3 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 28, 2019
    I agreed, it seems only CRK manage to achieve that level of satisfaction, my other thumbstud knife are a bit lackluster compare to them. Therefore, they ended up being flicker.

guy g likes this.
  3. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    I prefer "click" ;):cool:

Cvrobinson, guy g, russ25 and 5 others like this.
  4. Kmikaz3

Aug 28, 2019
    What is this weird magic?! Is that an auto sebbie? :eek::eek:

WValtakis likes this.
  5. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Yes...yes, it is:D There's a handful of them floating around that were converted by Butch Vallotton many years back but they very rarely come up for sale.

Screenshot_20200717-132210_Photos~2.jpg

6. Kmikaz3

Aug 28, 2019
    Seems very interesting since it shots out so strongly, it looks like it almost flew out of your hand!... Shame it's not something legal here in the Great White North unfortunately :oops:

guy g likes this.
  7. WValtakis

May 29, 2004
    There's a better video here on my Instagram, had to dig back for it:)

guy g and Kmikaz3 like this.
  8. Kmikaz3

Aug 28, 2019
    Really dig the action on this one almost feel ballistic for how strong it deploys. But, im on the fence about the amount of holes on the scale that hold the spring mechanism inside though. Tactical sebbie lol

guy g likes this.
  9. WValtakis

May 29, 2004
    There's pics in the "Disassembled knives" thread too, if you're curious about the mechanism:)

10. Dcdavis

Dcdavis Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2018
    I’m not sure if there’s any Waylon Jennings fans here but this thread makes me think of the song “Slow Rolling Low”

bart1, guy g, Ironbut and 2 others like this.
  11. Kmikaz3

Aug 28, 2019
    Ima go check to see how one can defile a sebenza lol.

WValtakis likes this.
  12. ChazzyP

ChazzyP Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 27, 2014
    I've got short thumbs and thick hands so I have a hard time staying engaged with the thumb stud when opening, so I largely flick 'em open. Most of my CRKs are tuned up so they flick easily, though some require just a modicum of wrist. On the other hand--well actually the same hand--I do agree that there's something so audibly satisfying about that deep clonk sound the knives make when the lockbar slides into place and the blade hits the stop pin.

guy g and Kmikaz3 like this.
  13. rexromic

rexromic Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2011
    Slow roll

guy g likes this.
  14. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Surely you jest, grew up listening to Waylon.:p That's back when music was on LP's

guy g and Dcdavis like this.
  15. Dcdavis

Dcdavis Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2018
    Love me some Waylon. One of my all time favorite artist. That’s back when country music was country music

guy g and JD Bear like this.
  16. nyefmaker

nyefmaker Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Slow Hydraulic Rainbow Opening and closing. When I see people flick them I cringe. When buying it’s an automatic no go for me if the video shows that.

guy g and russ25 like this.
  17. blanex1

blanex1

Feb 11, 2015
    always open slowly, I could flick but I dount do that on these knifes! slow hand Luke '' with CRKs:cool:

guy g likes this.
  18. pvicenzi

pvicenzi Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 25, 2008
    I work in a "politically correct" office environment. I avoid any one hand opening when people are around.

guy g likes this.
  19. Easyrider

Easyrider Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2000
    I believe in safety first and use both hands to securely open and safely close my CRK.

20. Kmikaz3

Aug 28, 2019
    Agreed safety first. But sometimes, when your hands are full and you cannot drop your stuffs to two hands opening your knife, a slow roll or flick comes in handy.

That said, i prefer my two handed slip joints when it comes to finer jobs like removing gunks underneath your nails for example :D

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021