1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Folder for Europe & UK

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Murindo, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Murindo

Murindo Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Had a quick business trip to Scotland and Holland and discovered the only legal folder I had was a multi-blade SAK. I'm looking for a UK legal single blade folder under $ 100 for my next trip.

What's out there besides the Spyderco UK Pen Knife and the Spyderco Roadie? I thought about an Opinel but they do have a lock of sorts.

2. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Part time maker, very very part time Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 25, 2012
    Check out the Manly Wasp

3. miso2

miso2 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Traditional slip joint knives from GEC or Case.
    Benchmade Proper, Lionsteel slip joint, or JE Made with PM steels, but little above the budget.

knoefz likes this.
  4. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Stick with Vic, I'd go with the recruit because it's got the toothpick and tweezers and you never know when they might come in handy.
    That or something like the case peanut, they punch way above their weight for sure.

5. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Aside from the traditional folders mentioned above, don't forget the Spyderco Urban. And I'll second the Manly Wasp.

blujaydad likes this.
  6. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp I support the 3rd amendment! Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Kizer has the Zip Slip model and the Boker Wasabi is pretty nice... but I wouldn't bother considering anything other than a UKPK in S110v. It's really in a league of it's own.

7. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    Manly wasp is very nice

8. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    SAK, take your pick.

9. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Gold Member

Mar 15, 2016
    Spyderco Urban has a nice strong “spring” (walk and talk).
    https://www.nationalknives.com/spyd...-edge-aeb-l-stainless-blade-brown-frn-handle/

10. ColoradoHoldout

ColoradoHoldout

Jul 18, 2019
    Nothing. Honestly, as someone who is both a knife nut and who has lived in Europe, don't bring or even try to carry a knife. People will act like you're a terrorist, and the laws are draconian. Just don't bring one, brotha. I know it, yurope sucks.

Legendary_Jarl likes this.
  11. A.L.

A.L.

Jun 27, 2007
    There's always gotta be at least that one whino crying and exaggerating about European behaviour on knives. :)

Sidehill Gouger and Pomsbz like this.
  12. herisson

herisson Knuckle dragging and mean minded Neanderthal Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Why bring a knife ? Buy something local (and non locking), the choice is overwhelming. Then send it home by post before you take the plane. And no, if you use your knife sensibly, nobody will go shrieking "terrorist !!!"

13. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    I carried a Vic Explorer Plus when I went. Never needed it, but I liked the tools over blades. Not very scary looking either

14. Murindo

Jul 4, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them all out. I will carry a knife in Europe. They are still a necessary tool.
    Worse than the knife laws is the prejudice against defending yourself.

15. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Basic Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    Stay out of Glasgow.

Pomsbz likes this.
  16. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    Manly Wasp is what I carried in Scotland last spring, no problem. Another option is an Opinel, available nearly everywhere. If you're going to Paris, check out Courty & Fils, a fantastic knife shop a few blocks up from the Louvre (http://www.couteaux-courty.com/). Or the good old SAK, preferably with corkscrew.

CanadaKnifeGuy and Therom like this.
  17. danbot

danbot Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Be a rebel! Fight the power! carry a switchblade.:thumbsup:

18. herisson

herisson Knuckle dragging and mean minded Neanderthal Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Arf, arf, arf... But I could concur, somehow. Hey, what the heck, be proud, carry a cavalry saber. I can't help it, I'm a noble man.

19. Llasi

Llasi Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 1, 2013
    As a general rule a slipjoint of non-aggressive appearance and discretion. Find out about the legislation of your destination.
    In tourist sites (museums, Tour Eiffel...) there are metal detectors.

20. Murindo

Jul 4, 2010
    I prefer one hand opening so the UKPN is my first choice and the Boker Wasabi is my second.