Folder for formal wear! Please advise. Thank you.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by crisancosmin19, Sep 25, 2011.

1. meanoldbobber

meanoldbobber

Mar 22, 2011
    Emerson mini A-100.

2. 6thtexas

6thtexas

Dec 13, 2009
    My "suit" knife is a A.G. Russell 3.0 Titanium lockblade. Weighs 0.9 ounces, very thin, 2 1/4" VG-10 blade for 34.95.

3. whetrock

whetrock

Nov 13, 2010
    How about a Spyderco Cat in 440C.

4. HotSwat

HotSwat

Sep 13, 2002
    Benchmade 530 is a great knife.

5. Christian

Christian

Oct 3, 1998
    ^^^This, or a Spyderco Kopa in CF or giraffe bone is what I carry for suit duty. The really nice thing about these knives is if you use them as money clips, nobody even has to know you are carrying.

6. Tostig

Tostig

Jun 16, 2009
    Sadly suit or slacks pockets are crap for carrying most anything in one's pocket , in my experience. You would be better off with something small and very light.

This is the best suggestion so far , I think. I have one and it is small and slim , very light but will cut what you need to cut. One the few times that I am forced to wear slacks or suit pants ( which I detest with a burning passion.. ) I choose this knife , I cannot stand having lumps in my pockets when I have to wear those terrible , terrible excuse for pants.

edit - mine is actually the 2.5 lockback version.

:)

Tostig

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  7. philwar

philwar

Mar 27, 2009
    Spyderco Vallotton. How formal do you need? :D
    [​IMG]

8. Dferg10

Dferg10

Sep 15, 2011
    William Henry Monarch B5 CFD:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you are in a state that allows automatics, consider a Pro-Tech Brend 3 Tuxedo model...

9. Cold Kill

Cold Kill Banned BANNED

Jun 19, 2011
    TBH, anything without plain plastic/metal/G10 handles would look fine with a suit and tie, like micarta, semi-precious material inlay, polished/jigged bone, stag, etc., or anything with a Damascus steel blade, because Damascus does look quite class.

10. gooeytek

gooeytek

Jul 12, 2011
    I choose between a black leek, composite blade leek, or speedform II.

11. MSgt

MSgt

Mar 3, 2006
    If in formal wear I would just recommend something slim/slender/thin as you do not want bulging pockets.

12. Seanifred

Seanifred

Sep 3, 2010
    caly3 zdp
    lum chinese
    seb
    vic minichamp

13. Tim616

Tim616

Sep 13, 2011
    Al Mar Eagle. Black polished linen micarta, with satin blade and black/red clip. Classy, and pretty much the lightest folder of its size.

14. richardtran

richardtran

Nov 15, 2010
    Caly 3.5 Super blue would be my suit knife. The wire clip provides a very low profile.

15. crisancosmin19

crisancosmin19

Mar 21, 2011
    Thank you for the responses guys! Quite some pickings?
    I love the Moki and the William Henry Monarch posted above.
    And I think I am beginning to like some of the Case knives a lot more now!
    Thank you!

16. Mike157

Mike157 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 29, 2006
    As 6thtexas stated above, the A.G. Russell Titanium lockback (or is it lockblade?) knives are great for in-pocket carry - small, well built, very sharp, and they come with a nice leather sheath that helps protect the pocket from the knife and the knife from stuff that my be in your pocket. I like them a lot, carry one often and give them as gifts occasionally. If, when you say formal, you want a fancy knife for a fancy suit that could also be a conversation piece in a fancy suit crowd, and you have the discretionary funds, then William Henry has a lot to offer. And I mean no disrespect when I say "fancy". The William Henry knives could be described that way but I see them more as incredibly artistic, imaginative, precision built, very useable knives - including Deferg10's in the above post. Many also come with a leather carry sheath. Though I've not had to wear a suit for a long time, I have treated myself (my wife often suggests I buy my own birthday present) to a couple over the years. You might also like their E6 model. Depending on the direction you want to go, there are a number of good custom makers on Blade Forums also. Mike

17. Rick

Rick Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 1998
    I usually go with this little Ohta Teardrop slipjoint. It's as light as pocket lint, only 2-5/8" closed so it won't spook the herd and, IMO, pretty classy lookin'.

[​IMG]

18. Cold Kill

Cold Kill Banned BANNED

Jun 19, 2011
    Liking that blade shape. How much are they?

19. lava_lamp

lava_lamp

Oct 5, 2006
    I like a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife in Alox. Usually a silver cadet. Slim, small, non-threatening. Cuts stuff if I need it.

20. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    For modern folders, William Henry makes some very nice gents folders, and the Mnandi is a good suggestion, too. If those are out of your price range, try a BM Shoki in CF/M390
    [​IMG]

A Spyderco Bob T Slipit
    [​IMG]

A Spyderco UKPK (sorry, no pic of my CF, but it looks just like the Caly 3 below), or one of these - Caly 3, Leafstorm, small Sebenza, Buck Waimea
    [​IMG]

And if you like traditional slipjoints, either of these from Great Eastern are good, and they also have some smaller patterns available, such as the Conductor
    [​IMG]

I should also add that the Moki lockbacks are top quality, too.