1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Folding hunter with amboyna burl and hamon...

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by J. Doyle, Nov 11, 2014.

1. bbingenheimer

bbingenheimer

Mar 4, 2010
    John, well done my friend. All the little details come together on this for an awesome package. Perfectly executed I might add.

looking forward to more of these

Thanks for sharing

Bing

2. J. Doyle

J. Doyle Bladesmith/Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 17, 2008
    Thank you guys. I really appreciate all the comments.

Lorien- this is my second folder.

Bing- thanks for the kind words Pal. All of our conversations over the phone helped to bring this together. Thank you!

3. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    any chance you could post a pic up of the first?

One thing about this knife that I find curious, is the two hand open, one hand close.

4. J. Doyle

Feb 17, 2008
  5. Nektarios

Nektarios

Jul 6, 2010
    A beautiful and elegant folder.

6. Burton Harruff

Burton Harruff

Oct 1, 2007
    Very nice!

7. MBITTENCOURT

MBITTENCOURT

May 5, 2009
    Very nice knife!

8. tdkfm

tdkfm

Oct 9, 2014
    Well done. Really nice knife

9. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    well, I dunno. I guess, to me, a one hand opener is safer to open and the danger is biased toward closing, where your fingers need to get into the blade's path in order to disengage the lock. I think it's reversed for lockbacks, where there is more danger of injury opening it due to the spring tension that builds up quick just before lockup that can help a guy stab his hand, but in closing, the fingers don't need to get in the way of the blade and there is two handed control.

I'd like to see more traditional lockback mechanisms make a comeback. Maybe I'll draw one up. Not that I prefer them to one hand openers, but they do have their place and this thread is a good reminder of why.

Anyway, all that aside, your first two folders are freakishly excellent, which coroborates my understanding that you are a genius.

10. Chris Montgomery

Chris Montgomery

Dec 8, 2011
    Very nice work John. I love everything about it, and for me to say that takes something in a "modern" folder. I have always preferred traditional slip joints and don't own a modern folder, that being said I am a bit jealous on this one.

Chris

11. stezann

stezann

Apr 13, 2011
    Amazing! I liked very much your first folder, but i must say that this hunter is way better.
    I really prefer the thumb stud absence in terms of elegance and functionality. I bet you can disengage the detent whit little effort and open that beauty with a flick of the wrist easily.
    Also the screwed construction will make the user able to disassemble the knife for a thorough cleaning and maintenance as necessary...at least i would enjoy doing it for the pleasure of putting the hands on precision elements :)

12. J. Doyle

Feb 17, 2008
    It's good to hear all the feedback guys. I appreciate it.

Lorien- your post made both Jennifer and I laugh out loud. It brought back good memories of Seattle. :)

I got what you're saying now. This one can be closed either way. One hand or two. I'm betting the owner of it will use two hands to close it as well. He brought me his current folder for hunting and showed me how he wanted it to work. He closed it consistently with two hands.

The milled out pocket to disengage the lock was still necessary, I felt, as the lock was still a little difficult to get at, even with two hands.

Thanks again all.

13. ColdDeadHand

ColdDeadHand

Nov 5, 2014
    Your customer is absolutely crazy. Why in hell would you NOT want to be able to open your knife with one hand? Especially one you take on woodsy outings like hunting? Heaven forbid, but the day this poor fella breaks an arm and needs to cut something, he's going to regret his choices.
    Or heck, just wait till he gets bacon grease on his fingers over the camp fire. Let's see him open that with a good coat of bacon grease on his fingers. LMAO.

The knife is beautuful from every angle. I love the lines, the wood, the color on the steel. I like the jimping on th butt, too that's a nice touch.

14. Jon Christensen

Jon Christensen

Jan 28, 2000
    Beautiful folder John! I like everything about it.
    Super clean and very elegant user!
    Well done my friend!
    Jon

15. J. Doyle

Feb 17, 2008
    Thanks Jon! I learned a lot in all that time I spent in your shop. :) I sure miss those days.

16. J. Doyle

Feb 17, 2008
    I tend to agree with you, though maybe not with your same level of enthusiasm. ;) :D If it were mine, I would want some way to open it one handed. But it isn't mine and that's the way he wanted it. That's one of those details that I don't mind leaving up to the collector. It makes no difference to me. Actually it was easier for me to make it that way. Less steps to worry about.

That said, it does open smoothly and without difficulty. You make a valid point though, and I appreciate you posting your comments.