1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Forging at Ashokan 2013

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by Chris Meyer, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Chris Meyer

Chris Meyer

Aug 15, 2005
    Greetings everyone,

I finally got finished editing some addition photos from the Ashokan 2013 Bladesmithing Seminar. These will mostly be pictures of people forging.
    On Friday night, Zach Zembko received instruction and assistance in forging a railroad spike into a Tomahawk. I never did catch the name of the instructor, but he’s a nice guy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sam Salvati can always be found when there are open forges. Here he’s hammering out a blade while Mike Davis, Aldo Bruno, and Herb Kettell look on.
    [​IMG]

Here’s one with just Sam and Aldo.
    [​IMG]

Speaking of the New Jersey Steel Baron, on Saturday, Aldo ran out of some of the steels that people were looking for so, like a good businessman and Steel Baron, he drove all the way back to his shop in New Jersey, cut up more steel, loaded it into his van, all so he could sell us what we wanted on Sunday. (I checked MapQuest, and it’s about 94 miles each way.) How’s that for customer service! Thanks Aldo!

Here’s Sam using my Bruce Wilcock English Cutler’s hammer.
    [​IMG]

And my favorite hammer.
    [​IMG]

Sam was forging a Bowie very closely to shape.
    [​IMG]

This is what it looked like on Saturday, after some light grinding on the spine and tang.
    [​IMG]

John Page and J.J. Simon were forging out a lump of steel. I don’t know what they were making.
    [​IMG]

Here’s J.J. forging on his own.
    [​IMG]

Mace Vitale appeared out of nowhere to forge out a blade.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course, not everyone was hammering steel. Here a picture of Stacy just kicked back and relaxing.
    [​IMG]

Matt, Justin, and Dan shared a few laughs, with Stacy in the foreground.
    [​IMG]

On Saturday, Mike Davis put on a forging demo, hammering out a Chef’s knife.
    [​IMG]

See that scale fly.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Ric Furrer gave a lecture on Making Steel.
    [​IMG]

He got a bit animated.
    [​IMG]

And speaking of animated, here are some pictures of Kevin Cashen as he put on his Heat Treating Demo/Lecture. I couldn’t really hear him above the din of the rain pounding on the tin roof over our heads, but he sure looked to be all worked up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eventually, the rain died down and the forges were open again. In this photo, Jon Dulny works on a blade.
    [​IMG]

Sam had me take his picture with Roman Landes. No doubt, the photo is on Sam’s refridgerator.
    [​IMG]

This is a bit unrelated, but when I was a lad, there was a comic strip and a cartoon about a young boy named Dennis the Menace. Dennis was routinely depicted with a sling shot in his back pocket, and he was always getting into mischief. This is what Dennis looked like.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I’d always wondered what became of Dennis in the ensuing years. This year, I re-discovered him, lurking at Ashokan.
    [​IMG]

Note that he still carries his sling shot in his back pocket.
    [​IMG]

And this is what the poor kid looks like now! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Note: If I screwed up anyone's name, please don't take offense. The ones I didn't know, I tried to read off name tags in the photos I took.

2. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Thanks for sharing those pics Chris. Very cool.

3. Sam Salvati

Sam Salvati

Aug 6, 2007
    Awesome photos Chris thanks again! I need to get to a printer to print out the photo you took indeed for my fridge :D

4. Matthew Gregory

Matthew Gregory Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 12, 2005
    Classic.

I missed going this time around - work keeps getting in the way of life. I hate that!!