Fun trip: what do you choose?

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by Plainsman, May 22, 2020 at 3:50 PM.

1. Plainsman

Plainsman

Apr 5, 1999
    You have decided to take an extended trip into the back country at a location and time OF YOUR CHOICE for approximately 6-8 WEEKS! You are taking whatever you can carry. You even plan on returning to "town" a time or two to resupply, maybe spend a night at a hotel, get a "burger" etc.

You plan on adding wild protein to your diet during this time, trapping/fishing/snaring can be done according to your locations laws and seasons. You also plan on HUNTING during this excursion. So the question is: you are taking a SINGLE FIREARM, what do you choose, in what chambering and how much ammo?

Thanks!

2. bore

bore

May 20, 2015
    Awsome! My bucket list is horse camping in the Purcell Wilderness Conservancy Provincial Park. Have to look into the hunting regs. Just started riding my horse. After ground work, gathering gear, learning. My choice for rifle will be my CZ 12g over 308win. 12g for small game.

3. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Assuming that I wouldn't have access to refrigeration, and not being well versed in smoking meat, I would probably only be interested in hunting small game that could be consumed in one meal. A .22 rifle with a couple hundred rounds would do just fine. Between that and fishing, I would be OK with protein.

kvaughn likes this.
  4. kvaughn

kvaughn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Ruger 10/22 with an old Weaver 4x. Like the one in my safe.--:)--KV

5. BP_

BP_ Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2015
    Tough choice. Probably 30-30 and a couple boxes of ammo. I’d more than likely mostly just fish, and ride my horse. I can’t take plenty that way and cover a lot of ground. Good question :thumbsup: