Garage sale score and re-handle

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Sacto, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Sacto

Sacto Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 27, 2017
    I started sanding on the handles/tang today. Your sanding tip makes a lot of sense once I’m actually doing it. It’s pretty easy to tell when you’ve gotten out all the scratches when you alternate directions. It seems like it’s coming along nicely.

Yeah, it’s branding season here too. We did the first bunch on Friday. We have cattle spread out all over the place, so we have about 8 more groups to process over the next month. I’m hoping getting started on them will be the rain dance that we need. It’s nice not having muddy corrals, but we need rain. Although it looks like we’re a lot greener than you guys are.

meako likes this.
  2. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Yeah we haven't had any significant moisture since that last snow storm we had the day after Christmas. We did get .15 inches of rain yesterday. Our place is 4,000 and change in elevation there at the corrals. We do green up later than most folks. Helped a friend brand last week. His holding field overlooks the south end of the San Joaquin:

[​IMG]

They were greening up already:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23 degrees when we saddled at light and then was about 66 all day pretty nice branding and no mud.

That technique really works well. Don't know why more folks don't do it, its not like I invented it or anything. Makes it easy.

Bloefield and meako like this.
  3. Sacto

Jun 27, 2017
    I finally finished this up this week. There’s always room for improvement, but I’m very pleased with how it came out.
    [​IMG]
    I was able to get a scratch-free tang thanks to the tips from @Horsewright
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I ended up not using Dave’s advise on the corby bolts. It was one of those things where, with 2 young kids at home, when you suddenly have a bit of free time you have to take advantage of it with what you have on hand. So I used some copper pin stock I had at home rather than ordering more. I thought the copper would go well with the Mexican blanket micarta. Overall it was a fun project, I’m happy with how it turned out, and glad to have it back in use in the kitchen as it really is a great kitchen knife. [​IMG] Thanks for following along.

-Bart

4. Don W

Don W Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2012
    @Sacto that turned out great! I am going to have to order up some of that micarta.

Sacto likes this.
  5. Matt_WY

Matt_WY Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 30, 2018
    Turned out real nice, love the micarta.

Sacto likes this.
  6. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    @Sacto That came out great!! Good job. That tang looks really good.

Sacto likes this.
  7. rbeggs

rbeggs Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 8, 2013
    You did a great job and love the micarta thanks for showing us.

Sacto likes this.
  8. Sacto

Jun 27, 2017
    Thanks for all the kind words, guys. @Don W - you should definitely order some. Seems like good quality material, and Greg at G.L. Hansen and Sons is a super nice guy. He used to live relatively close to me, so I went by his house a couple times to pick up material. I’ve re-covered a few folders with some of his material also.

Don W likes this.
  9. glennbad

glennbad Knife Moddin' Fool Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 13, 2003
    Cool, love it!!!

Sacto likes this.