1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by knifeswapper, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Boxer .45

Boxer .45

Jan 11, 2015
    Wow thats outstanding. Yours? Model (dogleg)?

GE Jr likes this.
  2. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Thinking about these handle covers, I've confused myself into a corner.
    If I have several choices I'm not sure what I'm going to pick... The Blackwood is nice and wood tends to be my favorite material. The bone options are looking beautiful and my collection certainly could use a little color. Heck, even the Micarta is a strong consideration if a savings can be had. It's going to be a game-time decision. :)

3. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    The last time micarta was offered I don't recall a significant difference in price. I'm in the same boat as you - not sure what to go with. It's hard to pass on any of these. You can almost never go wrong with sawcut or wood. The micarta is fun and makes for a great user. I will probably just wait and see what's offered when it's my turn.

JohnDF likes this.
  4. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Yup, I think we are all in that same boat. :)

mb>, cbr1000 and mitch4ging like this.
  5. GE Jr

GE Jr Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Thank you. It's a GEC 48 Improved Trapper from the 2017 run - an SFO of Mike's. It seems to have darkened just a bit since the pics were taken. Here's a shot from the mark side...

[​IMG]

6. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    Whew, man I really like that knife. I love seeing pictures of CK 48 SFO... Now if he would do a run in smooth white bone that would make for a killer pair.

GE Jr and Boxer .45 like this.
  7. Fox79

Fox79 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2017
    @cbr1000 - the CK 48 SFO is still a knife you find on the secondary market for a fair price if you keep an eye out. The 48’s are one GEC’s best patterns in my opinion.

By the way, I’m looking at my 2014 77 barlow in AB and the sides are chamfered but the end is square. My 2015 AB 77 is totally rounded. I think I like the chamfered square butt more. The covers seem thicker that way.

Jak3, cbr1000 and tmd_87 like this.
  8. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Did we ever find out if these were going to have steel bolsters?

9. GE Jr

Dec 29, 2015
    Supposed to be nickel silver bolster and liners, according to CK reserve page. Some WIP pics I've seen make me think the bolsters look like steel, though. Wouldn't mind that a bit, myself...looking forward either way.

10. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    That's why I was questioning myself. ;)
    Maybe it's just my wishful thinking. I'm good with either but prefer steel.

11. Travman

Travman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2016
  12. JOELSM

JOELSM

Aug 30, 2007
    What’s the best guess when these will drop? Curious because I’m off grid the rest of this week.

13. GE Jr

Dec 29, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mrknife, Crazy Canuck, tmd_87 and 9 others like this.
  14. akaMatt

akaMatt Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 10, 2017
    Updated pics of the 77s on the GEC page. They look great!

There are a couple new pics with what appears to be untrimmed wood slabs by them that have me a little confused. Unless those are uncut micarta, but they look more like ironwood in one of the pics. Wouldn't that be a nice surprise for a few folks if it was a special edition to make up for a short order or something.

tmd_87, Boxer .45 and GE Jr like this.
  15. tstaut

tstaut

Jan 6, 2012
    That does indeed look like ironwood.

Boxer .45 likes this.
  16. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Those look rounded in the top pick:rolleyes:

Boxer .45 and GE Jr like this.
  17. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    So many good options, everybody's going to be happy.

mitch4ging likes this.
  18. thepapercut

thepapercut

Aug 26, 2017
    This is tough.

19. GE Jr

Dec 29, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    I was wondering about that wood as well :)