GEC IS MAKING TRAPPER KNIVES IN 2020.

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Onearmbladenut, Nov 20, 2019.

1. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    If it's GEC's big'un, it's big!! Compared here to a #14 to appreciate the scale!!!!
    Large 23s 1.jpg

Travman, dman62, Hibou Canne and 16 others like this.
  2. Onearmbladenut

Onearmbladenut Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 19, 2018
    Well it is official , the OKCA club knives will be GEC#23 4.5" closed antique jigged bone two blades with beaver shield . These knives have to be delivered by the second week of April. So everybody be looking for big #23 trapper two bladed knives soon. (The Oregon knife show is April 18th this year.)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    meako and jstrange like this.
  3. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    How’s the typical execution on the 23’s? Any blade wobble or centering issues?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  4. rdg

rdg

Oct 30, 2002
    I have 2 23'2, a double blade and a single blade. No issues at all. My favorite knives bar none. GEC does a great job.
    Bob

jstrange and Onearmbladenut like this.
  5. Onearmbladenut

Jul 19, 2018
    Thank You very much !

6. Onearmbladenut

Jul 19, 2018
    A #23 would make a great 2020 BladeForums member knife. A #23 single blade with a bull lock in Chocolate almond wavy rogers jigged bone and bomb shield .

KellyGlanzer, jstrange and JonMcD like this.
  7. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    If I was to want a #23...
    I'd wish for a single blade, non-locking, no shield, barehead, nail nick, in Orange Osage... A true Work Knife. :cool::thumbsup:

Nsewell and Onearmbladenut like this.
  8. Onearmbladenut

Jul 19, 2018
    I am all down for Osage Orange . The more you use it the better is looks. I prefer a Tidioute nail nick also. Nicks are located further down the blade , closer to the tip, for easier opening. I still want a bull lock or a liner lock would be cool.

Magizm7 likes this.
  9. rbeggs

rbeggs Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 8, 2013
    I love the 73s and 23s but here is a gec trapper that seems to be unsung, a 2013 48 with the full clip. Its an awesome knife with the old gec action and snap. @GEC please make more! Its one of the best they've made IMO. 30924.jpeg 30926.jpeg

10. BladeCommander

BladeCommander Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 13, 2012
    I too like the 48 slim trapper with the full clip, as opposed to the turkish clip. It was on my list to try, but I have not had the opportunity yet.

Onearmbladenut likes this.
  11. Rockon75

Rockon75 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I have an improved trapper from around that time and they do snap. The half stop has surprised me a couple times and taken a slice of flesh.......but I like the snap.

12. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    The 48s along with the newer 44s have about the best W&T of any of GEC's patterns, and I've had a bunch of both.

13. nyrico

nyrico Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2012
    I am so ready for some 23s, single blades would be my choice, Bull lock would put it over the edge.

Nsewell and Onearmbladenut like this.
  14. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Those abilenes are pretty good too though. ;)

black mamba likes this.
  15. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007

Don't sell the 23 two blade short for pocket carry. I usually have mine in . Leather slip. I carry it, and a few other slipjoints at the same time, no issues at all.

Onearmbladenut, bax229 and gaj999 like this.
  16. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    There are still#48s on the dealer's shelves. ;)

Onearmbladenut and gaj999 like this.
  17. gaj999

gaj999 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 25, 2004
    LOL Good point. Skinny little things. I'm wanting that big, comfortable handle and those sturdy wide blades. I'm really hoping that they make enough to go around. Fingers crossed.

Onearmbladenut, JohnDF and nyrico like this.
  18. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    :thumbsup: to all of these comments. I agree heartily! I've always felt (still do) that the 23/73, in addition to being GEC's earliest patterns, remain two of their best. If GEC ever decides to keep a pattern readily available and in continuous production, the #73 should be it.

Those clean and flush joints are probably more trouble than Bill Howard wants to deal with on a regular basis though.

Yes, they do go together nicely.

[​IMG]

Interesting. My #73, being a present from my wife and daughter, is my most valued knife. But I don't like the cut swedge. Even after all these years of carry I still think it out of place on a drop point blade.

Need stopped being a factor a long time ago...lol. In any case, I think this is a case of YMMV. As much as I appreciate my #73, GEC makes other knives that tickle my love of knives gene. There's the classic appeal of my sawcut Charlow. The graceful lines of the Waynorth lamb foot. Not to mention the rugged good looks of the #74 Stallion, what I like to think of as the GEC bunny knife.

[​IMG]

Aryan29, Old Engineer, Dschal and 8 others like this.
  19. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    I am gonna need to get my hand on one of these #23s! Big Ole Trapper!!! Yes please! Gotta be quick with that reserve button.
    [​IMG]

Hibou Canne, L.H.S, gaj999 and 2 others like this.
  20. Onearmbladenut

Jul 19, 2018
    I just got my email. We OKCA club members all got to move fast on this one. I am heading to the bank and post office in the morning. Looks like this #23 is going to be a smooth Autumn/Goldenrod Natural Bone . In the picture the secondary blade is the same as the main blade . I believe that picture has a mistake. The OKCA club knife has a beefier secondary blade. I'm not sure what they call that beefier secondary blade. That is why I am here on Blade Forums to learn. I am buying both knives , so I am super excited. I want a Sambar Stag #23 two blade , if GEC makes one. No telling what is on Bill Howard's creative mind. The hunt is on ! "GEC KNIFE COLLECTING IS WAR !"

tmd_87 likes this.