General Anvil Related Questions

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by Ome108, Sep 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ome108

Ome108

Apr 29, 2014
    Thank You,
    I appreciate your advice.
    Ome108

2. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Ome,
    I am moving these same subject threads to the combined thread. All you do is ask, "Is this good", "is that good", "is Rc57 Ok", is S7 good for an anvil", etc. They are all on the same subject and you should post new questions in this thread instead of tying up the forum with many separate threads. Anyone who wants to answer you will clearly see that the thread is about anvils.

3. Ome108

Ome108

Apr 29, 2014
  4. Mecha

Mecha Titanium Bladesmith Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013
    I assure you it contains a veritable symphony of flapping gas-bags! :D J/K j/k!!

5. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Ome,
    I know we sound hard on you, but you have to understand that we see a lot of folks come and go here. Many start out with the same threads as you - "I'm going to build an anvil, a shop, a grinder, a sword, a .........."

They often don't ever make a knife because they get trapped in an obsessive cycle of planning build projects...and getting nothing done.

It takes two files, a small bar of steel, and a small stack of sandpaper to make a knife. If you are very slow, it takes a month to do it ( most do it in a week or two). I seriously recommend you sit down, take a deep breath, and make a simple sketch of a simple knife ... then make it.

6. SinePari

SinePari

Oct 24, 2013
    Nope.

I just don't have the time nor the energy to facilitate someone else's think tank. This place is to help others accomplish the making of knives, not facilitate a slew of one-liner inquiries that amount to a soup of nada.

Do yourself a favor and just pick up a bar of steel and ask it what it wants.

7. Mecha

Mecha Titanium Bladesmith Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013
    And just when it's about to give you an answer, you heat it up, grab a hammer and beat the hell out of it on one of your post anvils until it looks like a knife you want to grind! :D

8. Ome108

Ome108

Apr 29, 2014
    Thank you for your comments.
    Just so you know,
    I have finished building of shed
    Finishing inside with hardy backer board
    Made stand for post anvil
    Installed heat in shed
    Making stand for post leg vise
    Started first knife on post anvil
    So, I have been taking the advice to heart and getting things done, albiet, slow, but steady.
    Ome108

9. SinePari

SinePari

Oct 24, 2013
    woke someone up with the fit of lol I just had...

the wife said she'd like to beat you with a hammer after she's done burying me... :D

10. SinePari

SinePari

Oct 24, 2013
    Pics?

Honestly Ome, even though I might come off as irritated, if you were anywhere near me I'd invite you out to the forge to get your feet wet with forging/bladesmithing. That way we could find you a conduit for all this imagination. You'd have to sign a waiver though... ;)

chattering buttock issue;

I think you gotta a lot of work ahead of you when it comes to rebuilding your reputation here. You really stepped on it with that mini forge "review". While I didn't see your actions being malicious, I found them to be a quite ignorant, flighty, and rash. You ask us a bagillion one-liners, but didn't think for a second to ask us for help on something relatively easy? Your lack of understanding was to blame, you failed to research the nomenclature of the equipment you were buying, and you chose to ride the "made in china" train. I have no ties to that business and have never shared correspondence with it/him, but I feel for the guy having to deal with such a PITA. I couldn't imagine for a second being contractually obliged to help you, especially when you throw someones free advice back at them as to discredit them, or use their information as a catalyst to start a completely new question thread...

I humbly offer yet another paragraph of my time hoping you'll get it, even if I already know it was spent in vain.

11. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Aug 20, 2004
    Ome,
    I am glad you are getting things going. We all look forward to seeing some photos and reports on your progress.

12. SinePari

SinePari

Oct 24, 2013
    :thumbup: ^^^^^ THIS x2

13. Ome108

Ome108

Apr 29, 2014
    Thank you Sinepari, that is most gracious of you to invite me to your shop if I was living around your area, I really do appreciate that.
    I agree with you, that I bought my first forge in a excited state, and did not research the heck out of it. Had I known the difference in the burners i would have just gone straight to the chile forge.
    I do apologize for bringing up the older thread and commenting on how wrong I might've thought you were in saying that the cost for heat treating would be extremely high.
    I did not do this intentionally to discredit you in anyway or throw it back in your face in anyway, that was not my intention.
    I do apologize though for any misconceptions you might've had or have about what I have said. I try to get along with everyone, and find no interest in arguing, Life is just too short.
    Ome

14. Marjanp145

Marjanp145

Jan 13, 2015
    Hello I am about a 2 years into metal working in general, and I have done little to no forging so far ,except recently I forged a knife out of a wrench and really liked it, any way I forged that knife on a large rock. And it broke, I just bought a cast iron anvil. And was wondering if it's good enough just to start out on? Because Ive been reading on here, and people are talks no a lot of trash on cast iron anvils. I can't afford a better anvil currently,that's why I bought the cast iron anvil

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  15. VaughnT

VaughnT

Feb 7, 2010
    Marjanp145, if you bought one of those cheap HF anvils.... it's a crap shoot. Might last long enough to make dozens of knives. Might break in half with the first blow. An anvil made of cast iron, with no tool steel face, is the lowest of the low, not much better than a granite boulder.

However, it's a hard/heavy surface and can work relatively well. Third-world smiths often use sledgehammers for their anvils. Quality allow and plenty of mass under the hammer. That's the key.

16. Marjanp145

Marjanp145

Jan 13, 2015
    Thanks very much for the reply, that's all I'm looking for is something heavy to hammer on

17. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Aug 20, 2004
    Old thread. Start a new thread if you have questions. - Closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.