1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Gent 525

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by pkd7423, Oct 9, 2019.

1. pkd7423

pkd7423

Oct 9, 2019
    All,

My daily carry, is the Buck 525 Gent. Love this knife. Thought I lost it once, and panicked, but found it after 2 weeks in my suitcase. Every once in awhile I look it up on Buck's website, just to reassure myself that I could replace it if I really lost it.

Well, today I was surprised to see that it is discontinued. I chatted on Buck's website and found it was discontinued in 2017. I thought it would be there forever.

Does anyone know where or how I can purchase a new one?

Thanks,

PK Davis

2. Haebbie

Haebbie Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    GPyro and gedlicks like this.
  3. st8yd

st8yd Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2009
    There are plenty on the bay and probably not hard to find a new one.

4. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Habbie pointed you in the right direction if you want the current variation. I have both and like the 524 better, as it is thinner, and thin is what makes a Gents Knife. OH

5. BuckShack

BuckShack Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 19, 2015
    Same length as the 505 Knight, isn't it? Plus the Knight can be customized in the Custom Shop!

6. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    I bought a case of those as my wife engraves on them for retirement gifts, graduation, ect.. I'll post some pictures later. DM

GasMan1 likes this.
  7. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Here's some photos of her work on these. DM
    100_2636.JPG

8. guitar1580

guitar1580

Nov 5, 2012
    @ David Martin, Those are beautiful, she is very talented.

OP, yes the 525 Gent is a great carry knife for light to medium duty, especially when size needs to be at a minimum. As mentioned, they are to be found on the auction sites ranging from well used to new old stock. I recently got an older English Script logo type that was like new & unsharpened for a very reasonable price, 1st pic. (I don't think we're allowed to talk about prices, or I'd say how much)

If you look for them, check out the also discontinued 526 Executive. Near identical, but with softer beveled edge and a mirror finish blade. I have 3 or 4 of these, and like them better. I've polished out the handle on one of them to a total mirror finish, 2nd pic.

There are lots of these floating around that are unused that were wedding or graduation gifts with a name & date engraved on the handle. I've gotten a couple for great prices because of the engraving, then just sanded it off. You can return it to a brushed finish, or polish smooth.

[​IMG]

Yes, same length as 505
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  9. bucklife301

bucklife301 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 3, 2018
    The 525 series and all the ones with that blade size are my favorite ones to collect. David your wife does some great work she needs to make me one or two.

10. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    She will do it. It turns into a very dressy knife. DM

bucklife301 and jbmonkey like this.
  11. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Sorry to tell you, but you're about a month too late, last month I believe it was they were clearing out remaining 525 gents for $20 or so on their web specials page.
    Having wanted one for a while I bought one for me and my dad.
    Great little knife, hope you can find a replacement before you actually ever need it.

The 524 Alumni is great too, I went with black but the blue gold and silver anodized ones all look very nice as well.

12. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    I would be interested if I could attach to my key chain.

Old Hunter likes this.
  13. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Keychain ?
    Why ruin the handiness of such a knife by hanging a bunch of crap off of it ?

My 525 little Buck lockbacks go loose in my pocket and easily serve me as a main knife.

Blackdogfinn1 likes this.
  14. Old Hunter

Jul 12, 2012
    A keychain is handy if you like keychains - reason enough. I would like to have one on a few knives to hang around my neck when fishing - when a knife slips into the water it is usually gone! OH

Lesknife likes this.
  15. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Yep. It's rare I see a guy dive in after his knife. Ha, I did it one time and grabbed it before it hit the bottom. DM

Old Hunter likes this.
  16. BuckShack

BuckShack Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 19, 2015
    I would rent diving equipment if I had to. Lol. I have a Keychain knife that looks like a key. Not Buck, but it was a present. I carry 3 or more knives on a normal day and still there are times I have only my car keys and that tiny knife.

Old Hunter likes this.
  17. MT_Pokt

MT_Pokt Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2014
    Problem solved! Only way I can have a 110 when I'm kayak fishing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jbmonkey, Lesknife and Old Hunter like this.
  18. Old Hunter

Jul 12, 2012
    That’s a great solution! OH

jbmonkey likes this.