1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Gentleman's folder advice (modern or traditional)

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by smoothblades, Dec 15, 2017.

1. smoothblades

smoothblades Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2015
    I'm looking for a new small gentleman's folder, I currently carry a small 21 inlay which is great but a bit bigger in my suit pants than I care for.

I tried the spyderco air, and it's great but not really at the quality levels I want for my nice edc (crk quality spoils you some). Does anyone have any reccomendations or experience in finding a high quality gentleman's folder?

Price: arond $450
    Size: 2-3"
    Deployment: thumbstud or similar, flipper is fine
    Steel: S35 or comparable
    Style: framework, linerlock, slipjoint

So far I have ruled out WH, as they just aren't the mood I'm going for and all seem a bit more fragile than I want. Leading me to the Mnandi, the new titanium Hoback Mk, or possibly a case/bose slipjoint. While these three are very different the quality seems to be consistent however I'm still uncertain, trying to stay around $450 and I know very little about slipjoint offerings. Does anyone have experience or reccomendations?

2. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I know it may not have to flipper or one hand opening ... but I have to say I usually carry a modern folder and a traditonal which has varied from a SAK to a Buck Stockman to a GEC Improved trapper ...

but I recently bought a Lionsteel Roundhead from another member here in the exchange ... and I have really found myself loving it ... the blade is M390 its not a tiny knife so feels good to use and has impressed me for a slipjoint.

I would at least give it a look ... well below your price point.

As far as modern folders ... I would recommend a look at Mcusta very nice looking knives good quality. And for your price point there are many options I'm sure you will get several recommendations of higher end knives.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    Pomsbz likes this.
  3. smoothblades

smoothblades Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2015
    How is the fit and finish?

4. JJ_Colt45

Sep 11, 2014
    I think the fit and finish are nice ...the Mcusta is a liner lock mine is Quince wood VG10 blade ... the Mcusta has a pocket clip but I think there are some without the clips also.
    2017-12-15 11.48.29.jpg

my Lionsteel Stag M390 ...
    2017-12-15 11.50.19.jpg

5. JJ_Colt45

Sep 11, 2014
    I'm sure you can get Mnandis in nice inlays and William Henry knives with a fancier look and very nice quality ... or special edition Benchmades ... or for the price point of $450.00 a nice custom ... I dont own many more "gentleman's knives" to give you models but I'm sure several will find your post and have alot more options. Both of mine are only around $150.00 give or take ...

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  6. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Case Texas toothpick. Very small but very classy.

7. Amurr

Amurr Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 22, 2013
    Jake Hoback just put out his midtech MK Ultra. Very nice knife.

8. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Internally I seldom look at $450ish knives except for CRK and I generally shy away from pulling the trigger on one of their knives. Been eyeing Reate stuff... Fallkniven certainly has some very nice medium priced gentlemanly folders that appeal to me. Two years ago, I would have said "expensive", but now they're medium priced within my knife perspectives.

For more dressy occasions (sport coat, dress slacks and dress shoes type affair), I generally chose something thin and fairly light weight but not necessarily expensive. A couple that I own come to mind. Spyderco Kiwi 4, Lionsteel Mini Opera in stag, or the small two blade GEC #14 Boys knife. All good and I recommend them.

The Lionsteel Round head is a nice knife with modern steel for a traditional. Haven't purchased one of these as of yet, but I will eventually; probably the next batch to be released.... who knows?

smoothblades likes this.
  9. spyderg

spyderg

Sep 28, 2014
    Take a look at Enigma Knives. Great slip-joints with premium materials. A lot with curly Maple for example, titanium liners (super light weight), mosaic pivots, and steels like M390 and US2000(Cruwear).

10. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Enigma Knives look great from a fairly new Polish company. I will have to keep my eyes on them for a traditional.

11. uofaengr

uofaengr

Jan 9, 2014
    For a cheaper option, although it's discontinued, I would've suggested the Benchmade 707 Sequel.

Since you're accustomed to CRK, I think you'd be satisfied with a Mnandi although there's no thumbstud or flipper. Then there's always the carbon fiber small 21 if it's more of a weight issue than a size issue.

12. Charlie Mike

Charlie Mike Sober since 1-7-14 (still a Paranoid Nutjob) Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 1, 2000
    Darrel Ralph makes a 3" Dominator midtech

13. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Ferrum Forge just made this little knife. It can be used alone or fit into a keybar. They are going to make a 100% standalone model soon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't know if you can track one down but CRK used to make a micro Sebenza called the Umfaan. (Not my pics)

Here is an Umfann next to a small 21 and a Mnandi for comparison.
    [​IMG]
    Umfaan has no clip but comes with a leather slip.
    [​IMG]
    Good luck finding one. :(

14. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2017
    Only picks I can name

LionSteel Roundhead or Shuffler
    CRK Mnandi

I am sure there are others but if the Sebenza seems like too much knife at times I am having a tough time finding something to meet your request w/o also being as much knife in pocket.

Pomsbz likes this.
  15. maximus83

maximus83

Nov 7, 2011
    Lower than your budget (which may be a nice thing? :) ), but seriously, check out the Spyderco Domino in CTS-XHP. Perfectly fits your specs, I just got one. They were dc'd by Spyderco in 2018 but a lot of places still have them in stock. This is a nice flipper/frame lock in a 'gentleman's' configuration and a great steel. It's my fave smaller knife to carry.

https://www.knifeworks.com/spyderco...lue-weave-carbon-fiber-handle-plain-edge.html

emjay4248, 115Italian and Lapedog like this.
  16. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    Just get an Mnandi.

matt009au and Charlie Mike like this.
  17. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    Hiroaki Ohta
    G2

JJ_Colt45 and Hackenslash like this.
  18. fastone052

fastone052

Feb 3, 2015
    You can't go wrong with an Mnandi.

Also take a look at T.A. Davison knives, his slipjoints can be found on the secondary market in your price range. His knives are exceptional.

19. QAJAQ

QAJAQ

May 27, 2017
    Dan of Bazz Clazz likes this.
  20. Minnesota Man

Minnesota Man Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017