1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Gentleman's folder advice (modern or traditional)

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by smoothblades, Dec 15, 2017.

1. JDennis

JDennis

Oct 24, 2017
    I have the Boker Urban Trapper as a gentleman's folder and I love it. It is modern looking but also traditional at the same time. The 3.5" blade and weighing less than 2 ounces it is the perfect gentleman's folder IMO.

2. mbkryan

mbkryan Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 24, 2012
    First pic is a Shamwari by Gareth Bull. Blade is slightly under 3". Second knife is an S1 mini by Michael Zieba. Blade is about 2.5" and it is a little tank. Both are within your budget.
    M1.jpg

z.jpg

palonej likes this.
  3. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    Are those still available? I wish I hadn't known that if so. :D

4. Durham68

Durham68 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2015
    I picked one up on the EE, but I’m pretty sure the GM website has some left from the original run of 300. I was surprised too.

Pomsbz likes this.
  5. elnero

elnero Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2017
    I would have mentioned the GM3 myself but it's over his 3" threshold. That said I've had a GM3 and own a GMP3. I regret selling GM3 as it's just a great knife.

Durham68 likes this.
  6. microtech85

microtech85

Dec 1, 2015
    I think the benchmade valet makes a very nice gentleman's folder. It can also be carried loose in the pocket because it has a strong detent. I like the valet because it is beautiful and discreet yet sturdy and has m390 blade steel. It is not a perfect knife but it is very nice.

Railsplitter and Durham68 like this.
  7. miso2

miso2 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2014
    [​IMG]

8. shootz

shootz Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 1999
    For a gents folder I like Case Mini Copperlock. There are dozens of handle options and they don't look "scary"Small, lockback.

OR

Al Mar Osprey or Classic

[​IMG]

9. smoothblades

smoothblades Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2015
    Who is the maker?

10. miso2

miso2 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Kansei Matsuno.

11. emjay4248

emjay4248 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Olamic, Ferrum Forge, Brous, Rike, Zieba knives, Hinderer. These companies all have what you are looking for, I like Zieba the best

12. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    I've not seen anything comparable to the Rounder model myself, I had one in for a sheath build a few years ago, very impressive folder, unforgettable even ;)
    Good luck with your search.

I'm picking up a small fixed blade by Ohta, smallish with only a 2" blade, desert ironwood hidden tang handle and dangler sheath, looks like an ideal fixed blade folder size.
    Merry Christmas to me :)
    G2