1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Recommendation? Gift for a USMC Paris Island graduate.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Faralon, May 13, 2019.

1. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    I'd ask the recipient to think about and ask around while he's in training . Then go from there . He's become his own man now and deserves some input . He may not care very much but some fighters have very particular weapon and gear preferences .

Could do worse than Cold Steel SRK or Recon Tanto . Available in 3V and cheaper steel choices . These are both proven knives that have been to war .

2. strategy9

strategy9 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
    orangejoe35 likes this.
  3. Boozoo Chavis

Boozoo Chavis

Oct 18, 2003
    [​IMG]

4. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Wait until he gets to his new unit....to see what he is allowed to carry.
    Nothing too expensive;;;nice knives go missing in a hurry.

orangejoe35 and Swampdog like this.
  5. BoulderTroll

BoulderTroll Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2009
    If he ends up at DLI, he'll be a stones throw from me. I took the DLAB many years ago but never joined up. Good for him!

My son-in-law is about to join the Army, and I've been thinking about a gift for boot camp graduation as well. I thought of many great fixed blades and folders, before finally deciding on a Leatherman MUT. From what I've researched (and learned from buddies who are prior service), what knives are and aren't allowed can vary greatly depending on job, location, and command structure. But a good multitool will be a welcome gift just about anywhere in life.

jackknife, strategy9 and HarryD like this.
  6. buckeyejake

buckeyejake

Dec 28, 2013
    In watches get tissot mechical . Pocket knife ,get a spyderco manix . Fixed blade get a Busse ratmandu.

Jake

7. A.L.

A.L.

Jun 27, 2007
    I would get him something practical and not too expensive for the training itself and then something fancier later on when it's done.

8. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Don’t have any suggestions other than maybe a good leatherman but I would like to thank you and your son and congratulate you both

9. LG&M

LG&M

Dec 19, 2005
    This would be appropriate for a Marine leaving the service not joining.
    Nothing says "Boot" like oorah gear.

kreole likes this.
  10. l1ranger

l1ranger Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 27, 2017
    this is one of the few times I might suggest a collectible knife - the USMC Kabar or similar to what strategy9 posted.

my wife recieved one from here grandfather when she got off the Island. She is not a knife person, but she has held onto this - never been used, but proudly displayed

4mer_FMF likes this.
  11. kreole

kreole

Jul 23, 2009
    Edit:nevermind

12. Sidehill Gouger

Sidehill Gouger

Dec 29, 2007
    Wait until he is assigned to an actual unit so he knows what they will allow. That varies a lot from command to command.