Give it to me straight -- a celebration of coping, lambsfoot, sheepsfoot, and wharncliffe blades.

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by kamagong, Sep 30, 2018.

1. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Part time maker, very very part time Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 25, 2012
    Glad I can help to put another on your list. :D

Ice Tigre and Fodderwing like this.
  2. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Already checked it off! A forum member kindly hooked me up. :D The Porch :D

Ice Tigre and flatblackcapo like this.
  3. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    The Half-Whitt's been shown before, by this halfwit:D but here it is with a very cool Coin-Knife sporting a straight edge blade. Many thanks to @Jolipapa for giving me the fanatic gem:cool:

[​IMG]

4. Jolipapa

Jolipapa Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2015
    :thumbsup: It is noticeable that it was made in Nogent, not Thiers, by Eloi-Pernet, famous for scissors and nail-clippers.

5. AndreLinoge

AndreLinoge Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2014
    L to R : Schrade 108ot, Schrade 834uh, Western 742 stainless, Schrade 8OT with slick bone covers, Case XX 6375 with Purple Haze jigged bone, Camillus #89, and a Schatt and Morgan sway belly uh.. monster thing... Its ATS34 tho! Love that stuff.

[​IMG]

So here's the long and short of it...

[​IMG]

Large stockman blade study: The shape of the Western's sheepsfoot is one of my favorites. Its more like a blunt nosed Wharncliffe, sort of. Nice and swoopy, and that one is a stout chunk of a blade, too. That's a nice carry knife, right between the 8ot size and the 75 frame case, but built with heavier liners and such. Very satisfying knife to hold..
    And that smooth bone OT is quite cool. Cant decide if its chocolate brown or deep muted maroon.
    [​IMG]

This trio: Schatt and Morgan seahorse whittler with black micarta and pearl shield, Case XX 6254w Wharncliffe trapper with Ultraviolet Bone, Case Select 6207w Wharncliffe mini trapper with Bermuda (?) covers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are pretty knives, but the Schatt is not assembled well (very very crooked main when open, shorted swedging on the secondaries that would catch the main on closing) . Very good illustration of final quality levels of DFC knives. Looks nice closed in the box, but get it closer than arm's length and it gets shady fast. I fixed it and use it, but if it was any more out of whack I wouldn't have been able to and it would have just held down a shelf.

I like long and straight. Its why Trappers, Moose, and spear blades in general on traditionals really do it for me. They go well with a long pull too, it seems.

Ice Tigre, Dschal, Travman and 9 others like this.
  6. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Masters, no.

Minors, yes.

[​IMG]

Ice Tigre, Dschal, Travman and 12 others like this.
  7. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Part time maker, very very part time Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 25, 2012
    [​IMG]

8. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    . . . er . . . what ever you want to call mine here it is :
    First I modded the spay blade because I badly wanted a Full size Trapper with this blade. I added the nail nick on this side of the blade.
    I found the pull tolerable but quite high.
    I kept the clip point because I enjoy this blade quite a lot as well.
    IMG_5184.jpg
    IMG_5180.jpg

On these I find the folded blade to be in the way in use though. I would rather carry two single blade Trappers than one two blade knife so I decided to take off the clip point blade. I have many Trappers with one Clip point blade only so no great loss.
    At the last minute I got to looking at it, decided that the spring pull and the position of the nail nick on the clip point blade would be the one to mod into the straight edge "Wharncliffe" for a more friendly pull on this short blade so I removed the blade I had first modded into the Wharncliffe.
    so I wound up with this.
    I actually liked and miss the smaller blade so I might one day make another one like that. Probably have to do something about the strong pull; a bit of file file work.

I enjoy the look of the shape of what ever this thing is. Has a kind of sinister Tholian flavor to it. Hahahaha for you Trekies.
    IMG_5605.jpg
    IMG_5606.jpg
    IMG_5607.jpg

IMG_5608.jpg

9. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    [​IMG]

Ice Tigre, Dschal, peanutsxx and 10 others like this.
  10. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    CASE Mini Copperhead, Root Beer Bone

[​IMG]

11. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Tidioute Eureka Jack in Greenbone

[​IMG]

Ice Tigre, Dschal, Rambler and 9 others like this.
  12. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    A Big Schatt this time. English Jack in Wormgroove Bone, Sheepfoot master, Pen minor.

[​IMG]

13. crufflers

crufflers

Apr 28, 2015
    Sheep?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ice Tigre, Dschal, Fodderwing and 6 others like this.
  14. Lansky1

Lansky1

Apr 12, 2016
    My Ratcliffe muskrat collection has gotten a bit out of hand ...

[​IMG]

15. Jolipapa

Jolipapa Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2015
    :thumbsup:Impressive line-up of fine knives! Is it monomania?;)

Lansky1 and Prester John like this.
  16. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Holy Moly... That's impressive.

Jolipapa and Lansky1 like this.
  17. Lansky1

Lansky1

Apr 12, 2016
    Thanks guys - they are fun projects !

Ice Tigre likes this.
  18. Redmeadow Knives

Redmeadow Knives John Conner Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 29, 2010
    Recently finished wharncliffe. Glad to see this thread pop up again.
    20181205_100530-03.jpeg

19. Ice Tigre

Ice Tigre

Dec 17, 2004
    How did I miss this thread before? Some wonderful, marvelous straight edged cutters here!

Here are a few of mine that are in the knives I have out on the shelf now for current rotation-- My favorite combo is a clip and sheepsfoot, but I try to have at least one of any of the named straight edge blades, if I can.

Rattcliffe on a Case. The only way thus knife gets any more perfect is if it was done on a mini muskrat. Someday I hope to have a mini rattcliffe!

[​IMG]

Two sheep on my Congress, one started as a coping but got trimmed for comfort of using the others.

[​IMG]

Really wish Vic hadn't discontinued these, great slim pattern.

[​IMG]

This full convex double sheep Rough Rider doctor started out as a double pen, and was an early mod of mine, to test using sheepsfoot blades. In those days I hated the blade style and the knife was shelved for a decade or so...

[​IMG]

My latest, and I think the nicest wharnie blade I've ever held-- a fine point, but not too narrow of a blade overall.

[​IMG]

I have many more, but these were the easiest to get to for pics, and have been the ones I've been using the most.

[​IMG]