1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Giving Thanks GAW - GEC #13 American Whittler

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by pmek5, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    I am in for a that stunning knife!
    There is much for me to be thanksful for, I am truly blessed:) With that being said, I will go with my wife and daughter as the top of myThankful list:thumbsup:

pmek5 likes this.
  2. Planterz

Planterz Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2004
    I'm thankful for jalapeno stuffed olives. Soooooooooo good.

Not an entry.

Emspop and pmek5 like this.
  3. robbobus

robbobus Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Beautiful knife. I'm thankful for my family, away for work until Saturday morning so I'm also thankful for video calls.

pmek5 likes this.
  4. T. Erdelyi

T. Erdelyi Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    I'm in, thanks Tim for a very generous GAW. There are many things I'm thankful for, some I've become thankful for in just the last few minutes. For example, I'm thankful for this thread to win a GEC Splitback Whittler, something I don't have and this one is a beautiful example. I'm thankful for the family and friends I have, I'm thankful for the friends I've made here in the last nearly 20 years and the friends I've made in just the last few months.

I'm thankful for the people who've been there to support me and just listen to my moanin' and groanin' when my wife was in for her back surgery, this place and many of the members here kept me sane when I needed a place to unload at 3 am after spending days at a time in the hospital while they dealt with her infection. I'm thankful for the advice I got when looking for a new knife, the info you folks supplied when I was researching a knife.

If I had to single one thing more than any other I'm thankful for though, it has to be the love of my friends and family which extends to many I've met here on BFC though. Friend's I've made across the world and some I've met in person and the many I plan to meet in the near future through here.

Thanks again for the generosity Tim and good luck and Happy Thanksgiving to you and everyone else here on the Porch and BFC as a whole.

Oh and I'm thankful to Mike, Kevin and the others who over the years have propagated this space on the internet as the premier clearinghouse for all information involving everything about knives, the people who make and sell them along with the fine folks who use an collect them.

pmek5 and Planterz like this.
  5. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    I'm in.

I'm thankful for my family, friends, and girlfriend. It isn't creative, but the people who you trust and who can trust you are the most important thing. I see that more and more.

Speaking of which, I definitely won't flip this knife. If I won, I'd like to offer this knife to my sister. A month or two back she was visiting and wanted to carve some ski poles, and asked if I had a whittling knife she could use. To my embarrassment (and everyone's surprise) I didn't have a good whittling knife to loan (and eventually give) to her. I'm sure this'd make a suitable whittling knife, if she's still in need of one.

pmek5 likes this.
  6. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    I’m thankful for my kids, grandkids and my good woman Conchita who has brought so much love into my life. I’m in, and thank you for this very generous GAW.

pmek5 likes this.
  7. TheFactor

TheFactor Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 26, 2015
    I'm Thankful for life and all it has to offer :)

pmek5 likes this.
  8. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    IN!!! I'm thankful for my wife and my son. I am always thankful for my great family and friends who are always there to lend a hand. I'm thankful for this country i live in and the freedoms that I am able to partake in!

pmek5 likes this.
  9. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Not an entry thank you as I'm not an American and a Thanksgiving GAW should be for you the people.

Very nice knife on offer here participants, got the Old School aura about it:cool::thumbsup:

I'm thankful for Beauty in Life. All too often we forget it in our day to day scramble, the noise and often unpleasantness of other people can drown out beauty. Look for it each day, whether it be spiritual/philosophical, landscape, flora&fauna, the great art and architecture humans have created, and some human beings are very beautiful both how they look and how they are. Even the sky at sunset/dawn or the stars in the cosmos get ignored, but take in beauty. These Traditional Knives are very often beautiful too, that's important.

Thanks, Will

pmek5 and SadSappySucker like this.
  10. Jolipapa

Jolipapa Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2015
    I'll join Will and Charlie in staying out. I'm thankful for my family in general, those living and those missing.
    Furthermore, I have won her sister in snake skin micarta (alshearer) and another fine 57 (Wvaltakis) whittler and so will wish all entrants a Good Luck for a fine knife both in look and usefulness!
    Happy Thanksgiving to all. We wait til Dec 6th (st Nicolas) for the next celebration.

pmek5 likes this.
  11. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Thankful to have found the porch and feel Ive had a good place here for many years. Life in a world of turmoil for the last 6 months which is why Ive been off form. Family in pieces.
    Home in the balance for me.
    30 years a fireman ended in some pretty crappy treatment by nswfb.
    PTSD has left us in shreds.
    Very sorry.
    Dont be afraid to admit defeat and seek proper help.
    Not an entry but thank you.
    Thank you all for your enthusiasm and knowledge about trad pocket knives.
    Meako.

pmek5 and Will Power like this.
  12. wazu013

wazu013 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 14, 2011
    This has been a brutal year for a couple members of my family. Now I am thankful my sister in law had a clear MRI/CAT scan for her cancer and I'm relieved that my brother cleared rehab after several years of abuse. So as I sit here now my family is healthy. Knock on wood.
    Have a great holiday.

Titan, Will Power, pmek5 and 2 others like this.
  13. SadSappySucker

SadSappySucker

Jul 20, 2014
    Not an entry.
    While that is certainly a beautiful knife I have a hard time using my clerk because of how pretty it is, and I have a hard time really appreciating a knife that I’m afraid to use.
    My list of gratitude could go on for days, but I’ll spare y’all.

Following Will’s post I try to make it a point to appreciate the sunrise every morning on the way to work. We are doing a disservice to ourselves if we aren’t looking for the natural beauty that surrounds us in our day to day life.

Thank you for hosting such a generous gaw.

Will Power and pmek5 like this.
  14. littleknife

littleknife

Nov 29, 2000
    I am thankful for my family and that I live in this country.

Also, thank you for your generosity.

pmek5 likes this.
  15. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    I'm thankful the college football season is almost over, my team is sucking wind this year, and a chance to win this fine knife.

pmek5 likes this.
  16. Kiteman72

Kiteman72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Thanks for the great opportunity for such a sweet pocket knife!

I'm still feeling very thankful to @Railsplitter for the Gold membership. I'm touched and grateful and appreciative and I just really can't thank Rick enough.

-Taylor

pmek5 and Railsplitter like this.
  17. SteveC

SteveC Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Thanks for a generous GAW !

Thankful for Family and friends and eighteen years alcohol free !

18. Vaporstang

Vaporstang Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Very generous GAW - Thanks! Not an entry.

I am thankful for my family.

pmek5 likes this.
  19. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Very generous GAW, Tim, and a timely "theme"! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool:

I usually don't enter GEC GAWs, since I think other entrants would probably appreciate the "prize" more than I would. But I like to "play along" even if I'm not officially entering. So I'll say I'm thankful for Faith, Family, Food, Ford, and Forum.

Thanks for your generosity, Tim :cool::cool:, and best wishes to all the entrants! :D

- GT

pmek5 likes this.
  20. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    I think I would like to bump this fine giveaway to the top with an entry, if I may. I've been interested in this GEC pattern for a little while now and have almost pulled the trigger a couple of times when I've seen them pop up for sale here and there. It is certainly a classy looking knife and I am grateful for this opportunity. Thank you, Tim, for your generous gesture and best of luck to all of the entrants!

I will try to keep my thanksgiving short and sweet. I have many blessings to be thankful for, not the least of which being my family, my job, my freedom, and my good health.

I did want to expound a bit on one particular thing though, and that is me finding the Forums here, particularly the Porch, and being able to fall in with such a fine group of folks. I will never forget my first post here in the Traditionals sub and the warm reception I received accordingly. It endeared myself to this little corner almost immediately. Since then, it has become such a pleasure to be involved here, sharing in our mutual enthusiasm for traditional cutlery, knives in general, history, and numerous other topics that often come up in conversations. I have been able to share in triumphs and joys, trials and loss, heartwarming moments and painful heartache. I have been enormously blessed to be a part of this little community and am greatly looking forward to continuing to reside here for years to come.

I thank you all for including me as one of your own in this fine place, it truly is a pleasure to be here.

pmek5 and Peregrin like this.