GKC Knife Pictures

Discussion in 'Good Knife Co.' started by bikerector, Oct 15, 2020.

1. bikerector

bikerector KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 16, 2016
    Pictures of knives only.

Here's a recent broken back seax I made as a practice piece as I'm learning the process of hidden tangs. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. 80crv2 steel and bocote handles

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Nice!
    How did you do the handle?
    Drill and file out a solid piece or carve a channel and glue 2 pieces together?

3. bikerector

bikerector KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 16, 2016
    Thanks!

One-piece. Drill and needle rasps to clean it up. Took a couple trips to the hardware to get some longer drill bits for the drill press as I haven't done one like this before. Also found out the wonders of better rasps, so much faster. The stella rasps from baryonyx were amazing compared to the Chinese things I used previously when I was doing crafting more as a hobby.

Me and @David Mary have been talking a lot about the channel and 2-piece design as a possible rapid construction method with a router for the channel. Possibly even a 3-piece for a nice contrasting layer but that's theoretical so far.

@1066vik If you want one, send me a message. These are part of a budget offering me and my partners are working on. Or maybe something similar with a different blade shape? Easily under $100 without a sheath.

4. David Mary

David Mary Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2015
    Yup, and I got to see him twirl it around in his hand on video. Pretty sweet. I told him "what are you doing, I'm a seax guy, whose gonna buy from me now?" Lol Different style though. I'm more of a full tanger, full height convexer.

woodysone and 1066vik like this.
  5. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Pm sent with way too many questions.
    :)

6. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    We sent a few new ones out to be tested by Jake at Canadian Cutting Edge. These ones are designed by me and made by @David Mary for me to my specifications. If you haven't tried something made by David, he does one of the best convex grinds around, IMO.

An updated bushcamp, it's bigger brother the bush brute, and then the Leuku-size blade of the group, the bushete. We also tried out a new handle material for the 1st time on these for the brute and bushete called suretouch which is a layered G10 and rubber material that adds grip and color contrast (can't ignore the aesthetic piece :)). We're really interested in shock absorption characteristics of the suretouch.

David Mary likes this.
  7. David Mary

David Mary Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2015
    Thanks for the kind words Chad.

From the feel in hand, SureTouch will be good for choppers. I think it will absorb shock better than G10, micarta, or wood.